[spectre] New DVD: ASPECT - The Chronicle of New Media

Joel S. Bachar joel at microcinema.com
Thu Jan 29 11:00:07 CET 2004

The Blackchair DVD Collection Recommends:

ASPECT – THE CHRONICLE OF NEW MEDIA
VOLUME II – ARTISTS OF THE WEST COAST (United States)

Aspect is a biannual DVD magazine of new media art. The mission of the
publication is to distribute and archive works of time-based art.

Each issue highlights 5-10 artists working in new or experimental
media, whose works are best documented in video or sound. Each work
can be viewed with or without an additional commentator audio track.

Copyright 2003. 74 minutes. $25.00 with Public Performance Rights.

Included in this issue:

ANTHONY DISCENZA: Object 8242600
with audio commentary by Marisa Olson
Between the relentless spread of consumerism and rapid advancement of
technology, we find ourselves exposed to ever-greater amounts of
visual stimuli. From television, movies, and the internet, to and
endless sea of magazines, billboards, and print media, a steady stream
of highly mediated imagery assails us. In the escalating battle for
viewer attention, more and more of our information, regardless of its
content, arrives in the form of elaborately manipulated visual
sequences formally and structurally indistinguishable from mass
entertainment. This results in a gradual poisoning of our experience,
a profound level of alienation produced as our own internal narratives
are colonized by the logic of the spectacle.

CAROLE KIM AND JESSE GILBERT: Reverse House Kit
with audio commentary by Julie Lazar
REVERSE HOUSE KIT is a non-linear, spatial interpretation of a 15-part
poem by the same name.

SCOTT SNIBBE: Deep Walls
with audio commentary by George Fifield
Deep Walls is inspired by architect Christopher Alexander's "Pattern
Language". His admonition to architects is to build the walls of homes
thick, so that cabinets, drawers and windows can perforate the
interior space, providing areas to store, display, and slice through
and ultimately provide more meaning within the home. In the spirit of
Alexander, this work gradually absorbs the contents of its environment
onto its surface, creating a cinematic cabinet of sixteen silhouette
recordings of viewers' own shadows. By collecting viewers' shadows,
the piece destroys the fantasy and illusion of cinema, replacing these
with a structured representation of an active audience. Since each
small recording retains the duration of the events within, a complex
musical relationship between the cinematic loops emerges.

SURVIVAL RESEARCH LABORATORY: e-motion
with audio commentary by Susan Joyce
Survival Research Laboratories engages new vocabularies by integrating
machines, theatrical sets and props, with dramatic visual metaphors,
bringing to life, large-scale mechanical performances for audiences
that rival other popular cultural events. By taking things to extreme
ends SRL attempts to create new levels of sensory and emotional
intensity.

BRENT WATANABE: Thrift Store Tape #3
with audio commentary by Bill Arning
For the last several years I’ve been working on a “Thrift Store Tape”
series. These videos are created from footage found on discarded home
videotapes. On these tapes are fragments of the lives of people I’ve
never met and most likely will never encounter. I’m fascinated by the
fact that these memories have been lost or sold or traded, and the
people that recorded these events have probably forgotten these tapes
even exist.
Editor: Michael Mittelman

To order: orders at microcinema.com
Or go to:
http://www.microcinema.com/programResult.php?program_id=192

Joel S. Bachar, Founder
Microcinema International
531 Utah Street, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
415-864-0660
www.microcinema.com