[spectre] Clarification - UC San Diego Call for Graduate Applications

Amy Alexander plagiari at plagiarist.org
Sun Dec 11 03:22:59 CET 2005

Hello, this post is a clarification of our posting of last week:

-----------------------

University of California, San Diego, Department of Visual Arts, is currently
accepting applications to its MFA program in Visual Arts and its PhD program in
Art History, Theory & Criticism. Within the MFA program, students may focus on
digital media art, and within the PhD program they may focus on digital theory
and criticism.

Rated as one of the top graduate program in new media arts in the U.S., our
program is also among the largest, with eight full-time faculty. It is also one
of the oldest: we started teaching computer art in 1973. Today our research
interests and teaching cover the full range of areas in digital arts, including
net art, software and generative art, online and live performance, distributed
virtual worlds, computer games, net activism and tactical media, critical
engineering, media installation, digital cinema, location based media. We also
have a very strong commitment to theory and a number of our faculty are known
for their critical writing as well as their art projects.

Since the new media track exists within the larger framework of the Visual Arts
Department with its thirty full-time faculty, graduate students benefit from
access to top studio artists, media artists, art and media historians teaching
in the same department. We have close relationships with a number of faculty in
the Music department working on computer music, as well as top artists and
critics teaching in other new media programs in Southern California. The
additional unique resources available on campus to support faculty and student
research include CRCA (Center for Research in Computing and the Arts) and
CAL-IT(2) (California Institute for Telecommunication and Information
Technology). CAL-IT(2)'s new building, which opens in the Spring of 2005,
features one of the best set of research labs and technical resources for
digital arts work internationally - a unique context and capacity to combine
interdisciplinary research in art and science and engineering - as well as a
gallery, screening rooms, and studios for visiting artists and graduate
students and faculty.

Further information and application procedures are available from:
http://visarts.ucsd.edu

----

UCSD Visual Arts Computing Faculty
Amy Alexander          Adriene Jenik
Sheldon Brown          Natalie Jerimijenko
Jordan Crandall        Lev Manovich
Ricardo Dominguez      Brett Stalbaum

--

Note (from Amy Alexander) - Mail sent to the email address in the header
may or may not actually reach me! Better to contact me at ajalexander at