[spectre] PANDILOVSKI IN CONVERSATION WITH HOLUBIZKY 2/2

EAF Director director at eaf.asn.au
Wed Dec 14 01:56:50 CET 2005

MELENTIE PANDILOVSKI IN CONVERSATION WITH IHOR HOLUBIZKY 2/2

MP: Art has passed through a number of phases in the past twenty-five
years. Do you think that there has been a decisive critical shift
from postmodernism, or are we still in this historic stage?

It certainly seems that way when reading persuasive writers and
theorists: their insistence that we are in an age of 'massive change'
[to borrow designer Bruce Mau's 'project'], or the silver-tongued
paradoxes as in Belting's AHM, an age 'where nothing new is
discovered and the old is no longer familiar'. I would interpret the
later as myopia-the glut of art production over the past forty years
makes it near-to impossible for any one historian, critic, curator or
pundit to have the inside track on what it all means. I agree with
Belting and have thought that The [notion of] Shock of the New [Ian
Dunlop's book, the title then borrowed by Robert Hughes] is a
now-historic period. Can anything in art be shocking anymore? Yet, I
see 'The New' that reminds me of what I have seen before. Some is
work by artists who are forgotten or never known. The more doors you
open, the more questions that appear.

If we are in an age, it is of the museum and the art spectacle, the
proliferation of recurring temporary exhibitions and art fairs, like
the era of the mega rock concert in the wake of Woodstock. Some are
remembered for things other than the music-such as Altamont-or for
their branding [Lollapalooza as a recent example]. Music is not made
in these festivals. Music comes from the thoughts of musicians in
private before it becomes public. Likewise, for art. More often than
not, art is 'merely' consecrated in the new public event. The late
art historian Francis Haskell explored the history of
art-as-spectacle in The Ephemeral Museum [Yale University Press,
2000], which began in the early nineteenth-century with the
'invention' of the Old Masters loan exhibition and continues. Such
exhibitions, he noted, on the anniversary of an artist's birth or
death, have become a social obligation at the expense of scholarship.
So too, I believe, for twentieth-century modern masters.  Enough with
the Picasso and Warhol shows.

What has changed in the past twenty-five years? What have we added?
Rap music and the internet? DEVO recorded Post-post modern man in
1990. As good as any date for the end or demise of Po-Mo. [One of the
DEVO 'boys' was a student of Lew Alquist. I note this not for the
sake of cultural trivia but to reopen the question, where do ideas
begin; as Ralph Waldo Emerson posed in 1841, where does nature-our
idea of nature-begin?]

MP: Is art in a general state of crisis today? Or is crisis a natural
state for the arts in all times?

Crisis is just another word for, what ? Nothing left to say [with
apologies to Kris Kristofferson]! In 1992, the National Gallery of
Canada organised the first national overview of Canadian abstraction
of the 1950s, titled The Crisis of Abstraction. Was it really a
crisis? I don't think so, not for the artists nor for society then.
I've seen a Crisis of Impressionism titled show, so why not a crisis
of everything show? The Cuban missile crisis was a crisis, but now
anything can be a crisis, as over-amplified by 24/7 news channels. In
the wake of the predicted disaster of Hurricane Rita [a crisis of
global, massive weather change?], there was a Fox News live feed from
downtown Beaumont Texas. The on-camera reporter walked to the
drive-through bank and pointed at the ATM machine and informed 'the
world' that it was out of order and to underscore the importance of
this piece of trivia blurted out that there was no indication when it
would be operating again!

I keep a copy of the 1972 anthology Museums in Crisis close at hand.
Valuable insights and nothing much has changed: directors are still
beleaguered, curators have dilemmas, trustees have power, museums
huddle under corporate wings and the democratic fallacy is
perpetuated.

MP: In a situation of rampant globalisation and sweeping liberalism,
what is the role of art?

Maybe that's the crisis, what is the role of art? Perhaps it has been
over-named, oversold, and overwritten. There's more to McLuhan than
the catch phrase 'global village', which has been overused and
vulgarised. SBS broadcasts a program called Global Village. How is it
different from National Geographic magazine? It is made for Western
audiences, to make them feel comfortable with the notion of a
multi-centered world. Is it the same for global-sample exhibitions
and biennials-a comfort zone with a tidy tour package of the world of
art?

MP: What is the role of the independent curator today and are
independent curators still necessary? How is curating today different
to the era when there weren't as many art institutions globally?

Independent curators are highly dependant on the gallery system. Very
few can assert true independance as they must toe the line of
institutional agendas. By the same token, the 'democracy' of the
curatorial team weakens a strong individual voice. The results are
exhibitions by committee, which is NOT to say that teamwork is not
important in an institution, but it has to embrace all the staff, not
just the glamour positions. For more on this topic, see my responses
to question 17.

If, as many claim, exhibitions are a type of cultural laboratory,
shouldn't there be a post-experiment analysis? That doesn't happen.
Hefty catalogues are produced in advance of the experiment. At best
these are sketches for what has yet to happen, or be determined. For
more on this topic, see my response to question 15.

MP: How did you come to write art criticism?

I thought that writing art criticism was a necessary rite of passage,
so I did. In truth, I have only written two or three pieces of
outright criticism over twenty years. I regret the first because I
criticised the artists. I apologised to them and am still friends
with one of the two. My last art criticism in 1999 was, I believe,
justified: I criticised the curators. Perhaps this too was unfair
because artists are inevitably caught in collateral damage. I see
myself as an historian [because my formative period is now history],
and an essayist. If I can't add anything to a topic, why write?

MP: Tell me something about the role of the art critic today and
about how you define the delicate relationship between critics and
artists?

The long history of critics' hostility towards artists is hardly
delicate. Critics DO manufacture words and see confrontation as their
right. One example, from Henry Geldzahler's essay in New York
Painting and Sculpture: 1940-1970: "There were critics [in the 1950s]
crying for a return to the figure, for a 'new humanism." [With the
appearance of Pop Art] these critics cried 'foul', and they cried it
hard and long'. Yet doubts and questions can be raised by critics. An
example is in Ira Gitler's liner notes to Bill Evans Trio, Sunday at
the Village Vanguard [1961]: "Just because I am a writer-critic in
the jazz field doesn't mean that I can't enjoy an album like any
layman. It is true that when one is forced to listen to 'x' amount of
LPs every week, there are times when the spirit can become hostile
toward the very thought of records." Hostility is what I object to-is
art a battleground fought over biases and preferences? It's different
for the movie industry. Generally speaking, the public decides what
it wants to see and why, even if the reviews are universally
critical. In one conversation with the [then] art critic for the
Globe and Mail, Canada's national newspaper-safe and off-the-cuff
because I had just left my gallery position. I was 'independent'-we
spoke of one artist who had been highly promoted a few years before
and had fallen off the map. The critic said the problem was that the
artist believed his own press. Well, who wrote the press? A critic
cannot walk away from what they write-their responsibility-and yet
they do so, over and over again. Donald Judd wrote in the early
1960s, wearing his art critic hat at the time, "Criticism is pretty
much after the fact". [Roger Fry made a similar comment on reviewing
his own criticism in 1920.] I can imagine how newspaper critics are
chosen: "Let's see, you have no experience and you're an opinionated
little fart. Oh, you can be the art critic." Which is also to say,
that the automotive critic-writer had better know what they are
talking about: more people drive cars than look at art.

MP: What do you think of the affirmative writing, which is so often
present in the critical writing about the arts?

If you mean affirmative writing as in making unsubstantiated claims
that bask in its own glow, that's part and parcel of the game. One
artist is championed at the expense of many others, one perspective
given primacy over others. Multi-perspective publications can often
cancel each other out. From Robert Scholes' book on science fiction
writing, Structural Fabulation [University of Notre Dame Press,
1975], "Knowing one thing is a way of not knowing something else". I
come across a lot of one thing not knowing something else.

W. McAllister Johnson on catalogue writing in Art History, Its Uses
and Abuses [University of Toronto Press, 1988] says, "a curious
contradiction: a catalogue is issued for an exhibition even as it is
supposed to record its 'results'! It therefore anticipates the
fact... Whatever the time and energy expended in their creation,
catalogue production remains a 'cottage industry', whose artisans
have very different ideas of their craft. Otherwise put, they may not
know it well, if at all."

There is another form of affirmative writing and as I have already
quoted artist Don Jean-Louis' 1969 affirmative assertion at the
outset, here is the last line from curator Germano Celant's 'Stating
That', his 1969 Arte Povera catalogue [an affirmative introduction,
with doubts expressed]. "This book is a precarious and contingent
document and lives hazardously in an uncertain artistic-social
situation." They are expressing not dissimilar ideas, at the same
time and unaware of each other. If I have to chose, I'll choose the
artist over the curator in this instance. The artist is closer to
'prime production', whereas the curator is 'exhibiting doubts'. And
yet, they are both 'doing their job'.

MP: Can you compare the art criticism in North America to the
criticism here in Australia?

There are good writers in North America and Australia, everywhere for
that matter and in unlikely places such as Richard Huntington who
writes for the Buffalo News. But no one outside of Buffalo is going
to read him. Does that matter? Good art writing should address what
is happening in the community-to track it. Keep it clean, keep it
honest. The only advice I can give to artists; be mindful of what is
written, but to go about your work as if nothing had happened.

MP: In your text 'The Man Who Thought His Myopia Was A Vision:
Heliocentric Worlds, with apologies to Herman Blount', you give us a
very important parallel between the worlds of visual arts and music.
You depict the impact that San Ra and his Solar Myth Arkestra had on
your formative years, as well as the curatorial experiences acquired
at cultural institutions such as the Art Gallery of Hamilton and the
Museum of Contemporary Art in Sydney. One word that seems to me to be
very important is 'independent'. Could you define what 'independent'
means for you today?

I returned to listening to jazz after years of inattention [in my
most lucid moments, I could only play fake jazz]. For me, jazz
embodies whatever notion of independence [freedom of expression] we
can muster. The last two CDs I purchased were the aforementioned Bill
Evans and Archie Shepp's Fire Music [1965]. I don't see a
contradiction in appreciating the two, as different as they are-Evans
and Shepp are independent voices, adding something to the language of
culture. I am exercising my independence in buying both of them. The
term independent has more relevance in music than it does in the
gallery world. The rise of independent music labels-they come and
go-is an alternative and a necessity. Musicians need not wait for
major labels to discover them. Not all of it is good, but there is a
lot of good music that would not be available if left to the devices
of the industry. Ironically, major labels will pluck off what they
think may generate business for them thereby adding industry currency
and credibility. I feel the same way about the well-heeled gallery
and museum system. Independent curators are a pool of inexpensive
intellectual talent that museums are unwilling to invest in, within
'their own culture'. The temporary-contemporary centres have changed
dramatically over the past thirty-five years [less independent as
accountability to funding bodies increases], but this is where the
action is-the laboratory. Not all experiments will succeed, but the
measure of success is not the manufacturing of likely-to-succeed
events. Big galleries will trawl these centres for 'artist talent'.
One reason for the marginalisation of vanguard jazz in the 1950s and
1960s was the reluctance of a white-dominated music industry to
promote afro-American musicians who aligned themselves with
radicalised politics. In other words, if you want to be independent,
prepare to be poor.

I don't wish to criticise the Museum of Contemporary Art. I believe
that it has an important role to play, but I didn't feel much like a
curator there, more like a 'content provider'. At the Art Gallery of
Hamilton there were similar pressures to deliver content that would
click the turnstiles as a performance indicator, but there was time
for research, even if it was on my own time. Granted, the Art Gallery
of Hamilton performance stakes were lower than that of the MCA, so I
could/would make time for things that mattered, and in that way,
asserting independent thought and still contributing to the
organisation. Then again perhaps it was just me and every other MCA
curator has been 'happy as a clam'. I confess that I can't listen to
Sun Ra everyday. Too intense.

MP: What do you think of the situation today for young and emerging
artists? It's obvious that they have more chances than fifteen or
twenty years ago, simply because of what seems to be a favourable
grants policy for emerging artists across the globe. What is the
impact [if any] of this policy, in regard to upper-echelon art and
the art market?

First, I don't have much faith in grants or policies. No matter how
committed arts councils are, at regional to national level, they are
accountable further up the bureaucratic food chain. Arts funding is
an easy cut when 'belts are tightened'. Who receives grants has no
bearing on the art market, nor are individual grants any indication
of critical mass or commodity market success-to-come. The art market
is a wholly different beast from the agendas of arts councils and
public-funded galleries. Discourse means nothing in the primary
market, and definitely not in the secondary market, where the real
profit lies, for the auction houses themselves. The majority of art
dealers struggle year-to-year and I know only a handful of artists
personally, who can support themselves through the sale of their
work. That's not going to change. Moreover, in real economic terms,
the art market is not so vast, but it is unregulated.

It's tough for young and emerging artists-so many graduates pouring
out of art schools into a system than cannot absorb them. What's the
outcome? More art teachers? It can't go on forever-the art school
system will collapse under its own weight and backlog. That may have
a positive result, we can start it all over again.

  MP: You are also a musician and you have dealt with music almost as
much as the visual arts. You have said that as a musician, you "have
learned to let things go and that there was never going to be a
perfect performance or recording." Do you feel the same about visual
art?

Yes, except playing music was more satisfying 'incompleteness'. You
learn from your mistakes, and no one was hurt or humiliated [sure,
there's bitterness, but you get over it]. Wish I could say the same
for the art world.

  MP: There is big hype today about Asian contemporary art. We have
been aware of a huge number of artists coming from Japan, China etc.
The number of Biennials and other grand manifestations in Asia has
exponentially grown, which is to say that we are bidding farewell to
the Eurocentric art world. Yet, the domain of art theory, criticism
and aesthetics still remains ruled by the 'old world'. How do you
account for this?

Too much has been invested and absorbed, to ever have a blank slate.
Then again, art history as we know it is only a hundred or so years
old. Yet the hegemony issue is being acknowledged. Belting-AHM
[quoting him because he is a 'Euro'] says the pressures on the canon
"[do] not mean that the traditional discussion of art history is on
the verge of collapse, but it invites us to reopen that discussion to
communicate with others from non-Western traditions."

That's great-now let's see it in action. Perhaps in a hundred years
this may shift. However, let's not conflate the dramatic shifts in
world economies with art and culture, nor conflate say, Japan with
China-different cultural and social states of mind. China is not
going to reinvent capitalism, but it will very soon be the major
economic power in the world. Not in old money terms, but in
dominating the world of commodity production. Vast and cheap labour
is one of the reasons. That's still old capitalism in operation.
Lower the cost of production: exploit the workers. In this case,
exploiting your own nation's workers in order to drive a wedge into
old capitalism. But who is buying the new Asian art? It's the
established Western art market that needs fresh goods in order to
keep expanding its markets, as the West profited from the Japanese
economic boom in selling ITS art to Japan, as the Europeans sold
THEIR art to the American nouveau riche a hundred years ago.

  MP: What do you think of Canadian art today?

I probably know more about Australian art today. My continuing
interest in Canada is to the artists, whom I have followed for some
time-it's my commitment to them-and unfinished business in Canadian
art history. The latter, however, has informed my approach to
Australian research and work as a useful comparative study. Anyone
committed to the research and study of Canadian art had to know
American art history too, not because of influence or 'derivation',
but the cultural traffic that was generated by artists themselves.
Ideas don't stop at political borders. [This is where my history
training comes back into play.]

MP: Most of the international art market has Aboriginal art as a
focus for Australia. How do you interpret this?

Any market action, critical or commodity, outside of the national
scene must have benefits. On the other hand, the breadth of
Australian culture is distorted. Maybe this isn't such a bad thing-a
payback time, assuming that indigenous artists DO benefit directly. I
read with interest Bruce Ferguson's candid comment on Gerald
McMaster's appointment as Curator of Canadian Art at the Art Gallery
of Ontario [Bruce has just been appointed AGO's director of
exhibitions and both had worked in the USA for several years]: "I
just love the idea of an Indian getting to decide about white man's
art... This has never happened before. It's beautiful." Indeed. Now
let's see this happen in Australia. I won't go further. Suffice to
say, there still much more 'work' to be done in Australia, and then
let's see how this is received internationally, in the critical and
commodity markets.

MP: You have lived in Australia for the past seven years and have
followed closely the work of Australian artists. How do you see the
place of Australian art within the context of the contemporary art
project?

Like my continuing interest in Canadian artists, there are emerging
to mid-career artists in Australia who are thought-provoking and
engaging. I will not name them. That would be unfair and send out an
incorrect signal. Equally, I feel that there are Australian artists
with a mature practice and senior status who should be better known
in the world, but there is no model nor context in which to send
their work out. Art as diplomatic mission serves political agendas,
not the artist's needs. A recent news channel 'filler' program
interviewed celebrity chefs, among others, Jamie Oliver, Gordon
Ramsay [both Brits] and an Indian [subcontinent] chef [can't recall
his name]. For argument's sake, let's think of 'celebrity chefs' as
the curators of the contemporary cuisine project. Oliver pooh-poohed
the idea of a Michelin star, but stated that getting one would be
easy enough for him. It was a matter of doing the right things to
charm the critics. He has other agendas, one of which is a form of
social action and responsibility-training the unemployed, improving
public school lunches. Ramsay denied that he was a celebrity chef,
but said that there was nothing wrong in aspiring to a Michelin star
and that it was a legitimate, professional benchmark. Which is to
say, he believes in his profession-his craft-as much as Oliver does,
but chooses to stay within the prescribed arena of that profession.
The question posed to the Indian chef was different. Could Indian
cuisine ever gain gourmet status world wide? His response-one billion
people eat Indian food everyday, so why not the world? The question
was loaded, and the response was wry. Which is to say, the fact that
one billion people eat Indian food everyday doesn't matter to those
who control the cuisine canon. The canon may simply exclude the one
billion because of preferences.

There is Australian art that is 'nourished' by the legacies of the
national school, what can properly be called 'Australian art' [which
then raises the question, what is more Australian than Aboriginal art
in all of its forms and manifestations] and art from Australia that
speaks to anyone, anywhere, within the prescribed and
'industry-accepted' area of contemporary art. [I know what you mean
by the contemporary art project, so I won't unravel the term]. The
members of the global cultural politburo are growing, but there's
still a pecking order and mandated ambitions. Read the mission
statement of the Museum of Modern Art, NYC: "Founded... as an
educational institution, [MoMA] is dedicated to being the foremost
museum of modern art in the world." They achieved that position a
long time ago. Is Tate Modern challenging that position? What's art
and culture got to do with it, except where it benefits the museum.

I know that I have dodged answering your question directly, but I
return to my opening comment about my formative period. I still
adhere to that optimism and by the same token, recognise that once a
heretic always a heretic, even in moving towards what may appear to
others as conservatism. A lot of my work now is historical, but all
that means is that there's unfinished business and someone's got to
do it. I'm working on two twentieth-century retrospective exhibitions
at the moment. One artist is dead, the other is a senior
practitioner. It's tougher to communicate with the dead artist, but
when I do 'get a message' it's a doozy!

  My optimism extends to Australian artists who will think for
themselves. As for 'Australian art', it will manage itself. It has up
to now. I can only hope that it will manage itself with intelligence,
passion and compassion. I have no aspirations for Michelin star
cooking, but I do cook every day and I use local ingredients. If I
don't, then I'm in a culinary-cultural denial. My results will be
enjoyable and fulfilling and to hell with what I'm 'told to do'.

This text was commissioned by the Contemporary Art Centre of South
Australia, Adelaide, for CONTEMPORARY VISUAL ART+CULTURE Broadsheet
magazine, Volume 34 No 4, 2005.

--
EXPERIMENTAL ART FOUNDATION curates its exhibition program to
represent new work that expands current debates and ideas in

Lion Arts Centre North Terrace at Morphett Street Adelaide * PO Box
8091 Station Arcade South Australia 5000 * Tel: +618 8211 7505  * Fax
+618 8211 7323 * eaf at eaf.asn.au  * Bookshop: eafbooks at eaf.asn.au *
http://www.eaf.asn.au * Director: Melentie Pandilovski

The Experimental Art Foundation is assisted by the Commonwealth
Government through the Australia Council, it arts funding and
advisory body and by the South Australian Government through Arts SA.
The EAF is also supported through the Visual Arts and Craft Strategy,
an initiative of the Australian, State and Territory Governments.