[spectre] Eating Canvas by Jess Loseby : 1st - 27th March 2005

info info at furtherfield.org
Sat Feb 19 19:23:25 CET 2005

*Next at HTTP://
======================
*Jess Loseby : Eating Canvas**

We invite you to the opening of the exhibition to view the work and to
meet the artist in person.

Artist's Private View 7pm Tuesday 1st March 2004
then open 1st - 27th March 2005, Friday- Sunday 12 -5pm

Getting to HTTP
Unit A2, Arena Business Centre,
71 Ashfield Rd, London N4 1NY
Tube: Manor House, Buses: 341, 141,
Car: free parking facilities

for further information contact: info at http.uk.net
tel: +44 (0) 208-8022827

=============================

*HTTP presents Eating Canvas by UK digital artist Jess Loseby.* A new
media installation of digital paintings on a range of canvas: fabric,
screen, paper and televisions.

This warm and evocative cyber domestic work is a convergence of personal
and political aesthetics that is reflective and declares a conscious
subjectivity. Loseby's internationally recognised net artworks always
demonstrate a keen alertness to her's and her viewers' positioning in
physical, virtual and political space.

In this exhibition visitors are offered another experience of these
relational dynamics. A bank of newspaper-covered TVs loop 10 video clips
of meal-times in the artist's house. Viewers are invited to interact
with the same video loops using a touch screen to display a large scale
digital painting overlayed with headlines streamed live from online news
networks.
*

*Artist's Statement**

"digital aesthetics can be said to position the spectator on the
threshold of the virtual and actual..." - Digital Incompossibility:
Cruising The Aesthetic Haze Of The New Media-Timothy Murray

"My work is political in nature; I sit in the relational space between
the world of family domestic politics and the national domestic politics
of a country in flux. "Eating Canvas" continues my fascination with
borderlands and 'beautiful seams' between apparently juxtaposed worlds:
domesticity and technology and the politics of home and country.

Over domestic scenes the "paintings" call live RSS feeds (Really Simple
Syndication) from freely available, online, mainstream public news
sources. These feeds are made up of headlines and abstracts of current
events. Because the feeds are streamed directly from an external news
site they are updated at least every 24 hours (but can be updated every
minute dependant on "breaking news"). Particular feeds have been chosen
to reflect UK domestic news and politics which creates an evolving and
fluid textual layer over the images of domestic politics of the home.The
feeds have been further augmented by the use of css styles to disrupt
and re-present the information, literally feeding the "paintings" as
their subjects eat.

My journey into digital art began with a laptop on the kitchen table
from which I could operate a limited artistic practice whist chasing my
eighteen-month old son around the house. Thus, the kitchen table became
my portal to digitality, a significance that not only became the hub of
my digital practice (as it is the hub of my domesticity) but the centre
of my desire to outwork my thematics - the cyber-chick - sitting
somewhere between the microwave and the modem."- Jess Loseby

Credits: This work would not have been possible without the assistance
of ACE and the open source code "feed2js" of Alan Levine (Maricopa
Community Colleges).

**About Jess Loseby**

Jess Loseby is a digital artist from the UK whose main medium is the
Internet. Her work ranges from small and intimate online installations
to large-scale digital projections and video. She has exhibited in
digital festivals and exhibitions internationally: such as Siggraph,
Split Film Festival, Pixxelpoint and FILE. Her work crosses a variety of
media and platforms: from intimate interactive installations in national
touring exhibitions such as Spectrum 2003 to creating digital sets for
the production of 'The Dadaists' at The Met Theatre in Hollywood. She is
currently the commissioned Digital artist for Babylon Gallery, Ely.

Thematically, her projects continue her fascination with borderlands and
'beautiful seams' between the ubiquitous worlds of computing and the
'real' (domestic). Loseby's unashamedly low-tech approach to new media
builds comparisons of the network and digitally (in its frustrations,
attention to triviality and repetition) as absurdly compatible to the
female domestic routine.

Jess Loseby has 3 children, 2 wheels, 1 husband and 0 time
=============================

*Gallery URL* - http://www.http.uk.net/

for further information contact: info at http.uk.net
tel: +44 (0) 208-8022827

Press release for print (322k)
http://www.http.uk.net/docs/exhib3/eating_canvas.pdf
Gallery website http://www.http.uk.net
Getting to HTTP http://www.http.uk.net/docs/gettingto.htm

HTTP:// is a non-profit organisation run by artists and curators of
Furtherfield.org & Dosensos
http://www.furtherfield.org
http://www.dosensos.org