[spectre] SIGGROUP CFP: Political Economy of Power in Online Communities

Andreas Broeckmann abroeck at transmediale.de
Mon Jan 3 07:35:13 CET 2005

(x-posted from [Reader-list])

Call for submissions
Deadline: 15/01/2005

Call for Submissions: SIGGROUP Bulletin special issue on Virtual
Communities: ''Less of You, More of Us: The Political Economy of
Power in Virtual Communities''

Editors:
Jason Nolan, Knowledge Media Design Institute, University of Toronto
Jeremy Hunsinger, Center for Digital Discourse and Culture, Virginia
Tech

Submissions due January 15, 2005

Less of You, More of Us: The Political Economy of Power in Virtual Communities

The goal is to bring into the dialogue a number of researchers on
virtual community who are looking at the borders and peripheral
locations that are ignored, unknown or explicitly overlooked. Within
the notion that community, often the walls we build around ourselves
form mechanism of power and preference, this issue will examine
online communities that are excluded or self-excluding from the
dominant forms, norms and discourses. For example, there are a large
number of researchers inquiring into the recent blogging phenomenon,
but I have heard many explicitly exclude technologies/communities
such as LiveJournal.com with his 3.8 million users (1.7 active), and
discount the value of teenage bloggers, who are mostly female (67% of
Livejournal users). Because researchers tend to cover familiar
territories, we encourage authors to explore alternatives. Our issue
will provide researchers with the opportunity to expose the
readership to a wider sense of virtual community and what is going on
at the edges of the event horizon.

Some of the anticipated themes are: hacking virtual community; the
overlooked, broken down, subverted or reconceptualized virtual
communities; borders and breaches, the ordering of virtual community;
hacktivism; sexually focused virtual communities; questioning the
value of online community; collective intelligence is just the
fordism of the mind; the Slash Fiction communities; MOOs the early
forgotten virtual communities; and the code beneath the community -
exploring programmer and system administrative communities.

Submissions should be sent to both: jason.nolan at utoronto.ca and
jhuns at vt.edu Web site: http://www.acm.org/sigs/siggroup

Templates for SIGGroup submissions:
http://www.acm.org/sigs/pubs/proceed/template.html

Jeremy Hunsinger
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments

jeremy hunsinger
jhuns at vt.edu
www.cddc.vt.edu