[spectre] artistic resistance to the Venice Biennale: Mars Pavillion

Alessandro Ludovico a.ludovico at neural.it
Tue Jun 7 10:57:28 CEST 2005

http://www.marspavilion.org/

MARS PAVILION - artistic resistance laboratory in the heart of the
51st International Art Exhibition
Giardini di Castello Venezia 8_11 june 2005

Mars Pavilion opens June 9th but it is not abruptly born just a few
days before the Art exhibition's grand opening, nor will it
definetely close once official kermesse is over.
  Mars Pavilion is a stage of a route, it is the starting point where
a series of (political, cultural, artistic) collectives and inviduals
chose to temporarly converge to become visible in a consistent
try-out. Mars Pavilion is a hyper-pavilion. Its being radical mainly
stands in the reflection about arts and their context: a purely and
solely artistic context cannot become satisfactory vehicle to all
those productions that today aim to be talking about our world, our
society and about globalisation.
  Mars Pavilion is the result of collective labour and it therefore
does not follow a specific theory. It for instance does not believe
that traditional aesthetics - i.e. the institutional expo - should be
overwhelmed. We are well aware of the constitutional value of the
exhibition's formula, but Mars Pavilion finds its own strength in
being an occupied space, which comes as a precise political strategy
and as a social action attitude that most seriously read the relation
with its territory. This does not mean that Mars Pavilion's goals are
set in a national and provincial mentality, it actually means that
Mars Pavilion aims to be part of the irreducible flows that are
global protests against neoliberism, which tries to neutralise
differences, creativity and radicality.
Mars Pavilion stands in a paradox, in the involvement of aliens that
cannot be alienated, of martians that are willing to self-detrminate
thier lives on planet earth.
  We - martians - believe that experiencing life is absolutely central
and this is why many of us chose to have political and social action
deeply rooted in our every day life. We refuse to think that
elections or benefits are the border of our influence in this society.
  We reclaim artistic experiences without banal conflicts or grotesque
linguistic ingenuousness. We mean to experiment arts by overcoming
institutional artistic milieu and aesthetisms, which are sometimes
unignorable but which too often melt arts into an illusory mirage.
Mars Pavilion can remind arts of their capacity of expressing a more
complex panorama, made of territorial practices, of different
interests and priorities, of social and extra-artistic relations, etc.

--

Alessandro Ludovico
Neural.it - http://neural.it/ daily updated news + reviews