[spectre] TRACING UNDERCURRENTS: Sonic Routes Between

nat muller nat at xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 10 15:59:20 CEST 2005

dear simon,

thank you for your comment.
as the organiser and curator of this event, and as someone who has
lived in israel, and is quite familiar with its  various discourses,
AND as someone who has always been highly critical (and vocal) about
israel's politics of occupation and dispossesion, i feel i need to
position myself.  being an *israeli imperialist* as you put it, is def.
not my position!  whoaw!

i think everyone on the list knows about the *indigenous* people who
have lived in Palestine, that is a superfluous comment. nor  do i think
this PR blurb propagates a Golda Meir-like stance.  let me make clear
that there is NO acceptance of israeli imperialism within this program,
and i am very sorry you read that into this announcement.  there are a
few points i would like to clarify before being further accused of
having internalised the evils of zionism.

1. many of the non-jewish/non-immigrant population of what now is
israel will absolutely NOT want to be labelled as israelis, even if
they hold israeli citizenship. so when i say *israeli* i indeed mean
jewish israeli, since i know many non-jewish holders of israeli
citizenship who will identify themselves as palestinian, bedouin, etc.
  i think you are doing a reductive misreading when coupling the remark
about israel's  (and hereby i mean the jewish state founded in 1948)
characteristics of being an immigrant society to being the identity
marker of israeli sound artists.  i was not making making an
identitarian comment about sound artists, but  merely in a concise
PR-like blurb trying to make a point about the arts and
electronic/experimental music scene in a country that - like or not -
historically and still at present is one of immigration.

if you would take the trouble to read the bios of a.o. zvukoprocessor
and DJ blondie, you will see that yes...they actually do make a point
about identity and their backgrounds, and use these elements in their
work.  this is not to say they are reduced to and being represented as
being solely *immigrants*.

2. this is obviously a curated program, and does not make any comments
about ALL sound artists in the region, nor does it claim to to that. it
does not aspire to be representative of the region, nor does it claim
to do that:  it very specifically focuses on te electronic sound scene
in jerusalem and tel-aviv.  and as the text says it is a sample of the
kind of work being done.

3. let us not forget that the reality in israel is such that there is
little (friendly) rub between jews and non-jews. for the type of music
i wanted to bring to de melkweg it so happened that all artists turned
out to be *israelis*. yes, i could've made a program called *sonic
routes between ramallah and tel-aviv*, but then that would have been a
completely different program, with a completely different sounds, and a
completely different agenda, and would have needed a different context.

hope this clarifies!

cheers!

nat