[spectre] TRACING UNDERCURRENTS: Sonic Routes Between

Simon Biggs simon at littlepig.org.uk
Thu Oct 13 11:49:02 CEST 2005

Hi Nat

It seems we are in agreement about what Israel has done and is doing and how
appalling that is. Our disagreement seems to concern how one responds to
that. I take the position that many took (myself included, at that time)
during the apartheid era in South Africa, which is that an economic and
cultural boycott can be an effective instrument to assist in persuading a
nation to change its ways.

If Israel was effectively boycotted, as SA was, things would change very
quickly. Of course any boycott would not succeed without extensive US
support, as it is the US that economically underwrites Israel's existence.
The same was true for SA. It was not until the UK (SA and the UK's economies
have always been intertwined) and most of the Commonwealth boycotted SA that
the boycott was effective. However, when that happened the SA government
recognised that they had little economic choice and had to start
negotiating. The debate prior to that boycott was more advanced than the
current debate around Israel is now, but it did start in more or less the
same way with individuals and groups (such as unions, cultural groups,
sporting bodies, a few companies, etc) initiating their own boycotts of SA.
When a large proportion of the population would no longer buy SA sourced
produce in their supermarkets things began to change, as those supermarkets
stopped sourcing from SA. The success of that boycott is reflected in little
details today, such as a senior minister in the current UK government
(Haine, ironically Secretary of State for Northern Ireland) having been the
SA born leader of the activists that initiated the boycott and picketing of
the SA embassy in London.

Clearly you do not accept the value of this approach. Can I ask you whether
you supported the boycott of SA at the time it happened? Would you still
support it, retrospectively? If not, why not, given that it was an effective
part of a change for the better and without it Mandela might never have been
released and apartheid still practiced there?

If you did/do accept the value of the SA boycott then why is this approach
unsuited to the current situation in Israel?

Best

Simon

Simon Biggs
simon at littlepig.org.uk
http://www.littlepig.org.uk/

Professor, Art and Design Research Centre
Sheffield Hallam University, UK
http://www.shu.ac.uk/schools/cs/cri/adrc/research2/