[spectre] TRACING UNDERCURRENTS: Sonic Routes Between

Josephine Bosma jesis at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 14 11:33:52 CEST 2005

Some thoughts...

The limits set to 'bad politics', for when to boycot and when not, are
very difficult to maintain. The politics of the old South Africa and
present day Israel may be the worst example for some, but are the
politics of other countries really that much better that they do not
deserve the same judgement? I think that is -very- difficult to say in
the end.

In addition you should not forget that you are not just judging over the
regime, but also over the individuals that live under these regimes,
like in this case the artists there and their circumstances and
motivations. If you really want to maintain the argument that a cultural
boycot is a good thing maybe it would be good to look at earlier cases
of artists working under dubious regimes or for dubious regimes, which
are two different things! Even today, after 60 years, people argue about
whether some artists in nazi Germany supported the regime or whether
they merely tried to survive. I would not like to be the judge there. It
is too easy to say a good artist would have fled the country, like many
did. Would boycotting these artists have made the regime fall down? I
doubt it.

Sometimes it is very obvious that an artist is supporting bad politics
or in service of a bad regime. This is a lot easier to judge. Maybe the
idea of a cultural boycot is more appropriate for individual cases
rather then for entire countries or peoples. Even in that case one has
to be careful. It is easier to start a mob riot or witch hunt then to
calm it down.

With respect,

*