[spectre] CIAC's Electronic Magazine art and bio(techno)logy

Adam Zaretsky emutagen at emutagen.com
Sat Oct 22 18:13:42 CEST 2005

CIAC's Electronic Magazine

art and bio(techno)logy

The CIAC's Electronic Magazine is an online and bilingual (French and
English) publication, devoted to cyberculture and art in all its connections
with new technologies. Every issue is organized around a particular theme.
The Fall 2005 issue is about art and bio(techno)logy.

³Is our ecosphere being altered by Genetically Modified Organisms built for
profit margins without authentic oversight or risk assessment? If the
technology for genome sculpting of new style humans is a possibility, what,
if any, effect will imagination play in our future kindred? What can we know
about animal sentience and non-human awareness? How are artists taking these
factors into account as they try to express themselves through living
collage? As new biological comprehension sprouts new technological
processes, what are the overt and covert roles of creativity on the
decisions of which traits get embedded into whose new bodies? These are
today's major issues emanating from the intersection of Art and Biology.²
(Adam ZARETSKY, THE MUTAGENIC ARTS)

In this issue:

FEATURE :
THE MUTAGENIC ARTS, by American artist and researcher Adam ZARETSKY;

INTERVIEW :
BIOART IN QUESTION : Adam ZARETSKY talks with Shannon BELL, Sam BOWER,
Dmitry BULATOV, George GESSERT, Kathy HIGH, Ellen K. LEVY, Oron CATTS &
Ionat ZURR and Jennifer WILLET ;

PERSPECTIVE : CRITICAL ART ENSEMBLE :
ARTISTIC RESISTANCE IN THE AGE OF TERROR,
by Shawn BAILEY (Concordia University);

FIVE REVIEWS :
-BIOTEKNICA (Canada / Quebec, 2000-present), by Anne-Marie BOISVERT; NATURAL
REALITY SUPERWEED KIT 1.0, by Heath BUNTING (United Kingdom, 1999), by
Xavier MALBREIL; EMBRACING ANIMAL, by Kathy HIGH (USA, 2005), by Jennifer
WILLET; GFP BUNNY, by Eduardo KAC (Brazil / USA, 2000), by Ernestine
DAUBNER; DISEMBODIED CUISINE, by THE TISSUE CULTURE & ART PROJECT
(Australia, 2003), by Jens HAUSER

Anne-Marie Boisvert, Editor in Chief
CIAC¹s Electronic Magazine
magazine[at]ciac.ca
Centre international d'art contemporain de Montréal

contact / abonnement / subscribe : magazine[at]ciac.ca