[spectre] Re: the media art center of 21C

Annick Bureaud annick at nunc.com
Thu Sep 8 12:36:30 CEST 2005

A quick note after having read all the post and after having
"experienced" this year Ars Electronica.

We tend to think that there is one single kind of institution that could
fullfill the needs and goals in media art, so to speak one kind of
"media center". This is the model of the 90s (AEC, ZKM, V2, ICC, etc.)
where creation (experimental), lectures (conferences) and exhibition and
sometimes collection go into the same building.

It seems to me that now as media art is part of art in general, as it is
growing into very different kind of practices, one single kind of
institution may be cannot fullfill all the goals and audiences and there
is probably a need for different kind of institutions :
- one that would keep the "old stuff" (museum-like, could be in
"regular" contemporary art museum, but it is  not). Why keep the "old
stuff" ? because the coming generations have not seen it when it was
created and might enjoy too and learn from it
- one that would deal with large audience and also with "education" in
"new media art history". It is starting in some way but it has to be
enlarged. How ? Where ?
- one that would be more experimental and cutting-edge but today there
is no longer one aspect (if there has been any in the past !).

Annick

--
Annick Bureaud (annick at nunc.com)