[spectre] cash and - the media art center of 21C

rene beekman r at raakvlak.net
Sun Sep 11 15:57:59 CEST 2005

From: John Hopkins
> isn't the market and economic funding models just one (dominant) model
> of how certain societies construct social relation and meaning?  Is it
> true that there are no other ways of constellating (social)
> relationship in our lives that don't consider CASH?  I can't accept
> this statement seriously, unless I become hopelessly cynical.

john, even though i never used the word cash, i'll try to formulate a
reply that will hopefully not add to your becoming cynical.
for all intends and purposes, yes, life is possible without a monetary
system and even within the dominant monetary economy lots of expenses
and rewards can be described that do not involve cash transactions.
whenever i mention market or funding, that does not in any way limit
itself to cash only transactions - so your assumption seems a bit odd
in the context of this discussion.
what i was trying to get at is, to parafrase your question; Is it true
that there are no other ways of constellating (social) relationship in
our lives that don't automatically assume government support as the
default?
with my second point being that any (re-)definition of a media-art
centre without consideration for (long-term) financial sustainability -
yes i am talking money here - is much like learning how to swim by
writing a book about it.
there is very little point in talking about what the function of any
new media-art centre should be if we refuse to acknowledge part of the
equation of the "social relation".

hope this helps explain what i was trying to get at

rene