[spectre] OpenCongress [u]

Geert Lovink [c] geert at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 12 21:25:12 CEST 2005

> From: "David Goldenberg" <dged03 at hotmail.com>

Bureau of research into Post Autonomous Practices

Debate into Post Autonomous Practices at Tate Britain

 Letter of invitation from David Goldenberg

Between October 7th & 8th at Tate Britain, London, UK, as part of the
Open congress event I will be organising a debate into Post Autonomous
practices, and would like to formally invite you to take part.

At this stage can you let me know whether you are interested?  I need
to know this as soon as possible i.e. by the end of next week.

The debate will probably take the form of a videoconference, while
Skype is another possibility, or an on-going wiki, or maybe a
combination of all three. But this depends on whether each person I
propose to invite has access to this technology, and access to all the
necessary equipment this end. Please can you let me have your thoughts
on your preference or other suggestions for staging the event in an
exciting way!

The discussion will include approximately 10 other contributors. Once I
have heard back from everyone I will send out a full list of
contributors, along with information on the form the debate is to take,
along with other practicalities including copy right etc.

Approximately 50 persons will be taking part throughout the weekend.
And the event at the Tate is one of three other events that is planned
in London around this time. There is funding for a book, advertising
etc, while the event itself marks the beginning of a lead in time for a
London wide event in March 06 called Node London, which is being
extensively funded by the Arts Council of England. The Arts council is
also keen to fund projects that tap into Node London. So I very much
see the debate as the beginning of a process leading onto something
more concrete, although if you decide to take part in the discussion at
the Tate this does not signal a commitment on your part to other
aspects of the project.

I have provided brief information on the Open congress and Post
Autonomous practice below.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards,

David Goldenberg

Welcome to the Open Congress Website

We are a group of artists, researchers and academics -some of whom are
based at Chelsea College of Art and Design- who are working towards an
Open Congress that seeks to understand how methodologies derived from
Free/Libre and Open Source Software [FLOSS] production can be deployed
by those working in the area of art, visual culture and cultural
production in general

The OpenCongress aims to explore how FLOSS inspired practices challenge
the ruling paradigms of production and knowledge; particularly
conventional practices of authorship, ownership and distribution.

We aim to address these questions through an innovative form of
‘congress’ - which will itself will be ‘open source’ in its form and
structure...........

The congress will be held at Tate Britain, Millbank Londonon the 7th
and 8th October 2005

http://opencongress.omxtra.com

Post Autonomy

During the early 90’s the German theorist Michael Lingner introduced
the term of Post Autonomy, primarily as a term suggesting a route out
of Post Modernism, but also as a term to pool observations about the
Capitalist Model of art that we have inherited.

However, it is not clear how Lingner intended that the term should be
used and opened up, nor did he go onto propose a clear and exact
definition of Post Autonomy.

Having said that there are three current readings into Post Autonomy,
beginning with Lingners, which is A central thesis is that the
development into autonomy has reached a conclusion and that the
development into understanding art has entered a different area of
research.

Questionnaire into Post Autonomy from David Goldenberg

How I propose the questions I have outlined can be used –

I propose that the questions I have outlined below should be used as a
starting point to develop an on-going dialogue between those persons
invited to take part into a dialogue into Post Autonomy between now and
the event in October. As the dialogue develops the questions and issues
can be fine tuned, so that by the time the dialogue goes public we have
a set of questions each person thinks is precise, tough and resilient
enough to meet public scrutiny! I also think it would be useful to
spend time for each person to feel at ease developing a dialogue.