[spectre] Symposium: The Body as Interface, December 15

Marieke Istha istha at montevideo.nl
Tue Dec 5 12:44:14 CET 2006

The Body as Interface

Symposium December 15, 2006
Location: Netherlands Media Art Institute
Time: 13.30 – 19.00 hours
Entrance: 10,- (students 8,-)
Reservations: 020 6237101, info at montevideo.nl
Language: English
Live Stream: www.montevideo.nl

Looking at interactive art practices artists and critics will shed light
on one of the key concerns for many creative practitioners - engaging
the emotions of the audience/user. They will focus on the meaning and
wish for 'emotional engagement' and interactivity.

Artists seem compelled to expand the sensory capabilities of our bodies,
but what do we gain through this process? How do we conceptualise
interactivity and incorporate emotional values? Does interactivity
offer, due to its participatory nature, a more profound experience than
traditional forms of art? How does one engage and sustain the interest
of the public in an interactive experience? How does one define the line
between spectacle and works that create a chain of associations and
provide a space for engagement, interpretation and participation?

Moderator: Ole Bouman

13.30 – 14.00 h.
Presentation: Renee van de Vall (University Maastricht, MA Media Culture)

14.30 – 16.00 h.
Discussion with:

Kristina Andersen (Media Design, Piet Zwart Institute, Rotterdam and
Steim, Amsterdam)

Christa Sommerer (media artist and professor at University of Art and
Design in Linz Austria) - http://www.interface.ufg.ac.at/christa-laurent/

Paul Verschure (Group Leader Institute of Neuroinformatics, ETH-UZ,
Zurich) - http://www.ini.unizh.ch/~pfmjv/
http://www.mvrdv.nl/

Opening 17.00 hours of Dune 4.0 from Daan Roosegaarde with live
performance by Ellen Pieterse in collaboration with Melange. Dune 4.0 is
an interactive landscape that was developed specially for the Artist in
Residence program in order to investigate the functioning and
presentation of interactivity. Dune 4.0 is a work-in-progress. No
entrance fee.
www.studioroosegaarde.net

Netherlands Media Art Institute
Montevideo/Time Based Arts