[spectre] New Constellations: Art, Science and Society

Andreas Broeckmann abroeck at transmediale.de
Fri Feb 17 10:48:13 CET 2006

dear friends,

out of curiosity: is there any evidence that the relation between art
and science is in fact intensifying (as blurbs like these always
suggest), and that what we see is more than a (statistically
horizontal) decade-spanning string of incidental projects and
cooperations? there has been talk about this intensification for at
least 50 or even 80 years, if you take the original Bauhaus or the
post-revolutionary Russian Avantgarde into account. but there also
seems to be an insistence of much of art to stay away from science,
and vice versa. luckily.

(most of the 'gravitation' mentioned here might be coupled with a
centrifugal force, in which case it would be interesting to
understand who or what is keeping the two, art and science, in each
other's orbit.)

regards,
-a