[spectre] Reminder! Open call for magazines or periodicals published by artists

Bettina Pehrsson bp at iaspis.com
Mon Feb 20 17:00:08 CET 2006

OPEN CALL

Open call for magazines or periodicals published by artists and
artists' collectives, independent groups, non-profit organisations and
alternative spaces to be part of the Nomads + Residents' Traveling
Magazine Table, which will be on view at Iaspis this spring from 21-30
April 2006. Please send two copies of your latest magazine or
periodical issue(s) to:

Iaspis – International Artists´ Studio Program in Sweden
Attn: Traveling Magazine Table
Box 1610
SE-111 86 Stockholm
SWEDEN

Deadline for receipt: 28 February 2006.

Notes:

·         You may send more copies and more issues or numbers of your
publication, but please be aware that postage/shipping costs are at
your own expense.

·        Exhibition catalogues or monographs are not accepted.

·        Publications cannot be sold; they will be on exhibition and
made available to the public for free consultation. We encourage you,
however, to send brochures, flyers, or other material providing
information about subscription or your organisation.

·         Your publications and related materials submitted will become
part of Nomads+Residents Traveling Magazine Table, and will be
presented at Iaspis (21-30 April 2006) and subsequently at other
participating host venues. Material submitted will not be returned.

·         Please pass on this Open Call and keep us informed of groups
and individuals that are engaged in publishing non-commercial art
magazines or similar publications.

Information and questions can be sent to: extra at iaspis.com

Traveling Magazine Table (a project by Nomads&Residents
(www.nomadsresidents.org) is getting to its fourth step. After the
Contemporary Art Centre in Vilnius (2003), Art in General in New York
(2004) and M.I.T. in Boston (2005) it will be hosted by Iaspis in
Stockholm between April 21-30, 2006. Iaspis will host the archive of
magazines we have already received plus all the new ones we will
receive in the meantime. In Stockholm the project will be staged by
Karl Larsson and Andreas Mangione (you find their self-presentations
included at the end of this document).

It is particularly important to have contemporary art magazines from
all over the world. Therefore, if you are personally involved in a
publication of a contemporary art periodical that has no commercial
worldwide distribution, or you know of someone who is, or you want to
provide us with information that could be useful for this project,
please do let us know.

Nomads+Residents has a special interest in projects that develop on a
collective basis and in artistic practices that involve making
resources and ideas available for common use. With this in mind,
Nomads+Residents initiated Magazine Table. The Magazine Table consisted
of collecting a broad variety of national and international magazines,
journals, and similar printed publications produced by non-profit and
alternative spaces, artists' collectives, groups, teams, and other
forms of collaborations. The results granted an unexpected insight into
the discourses and networks existing outside the mainstream channels of
art.

The Traveling Magazine Table activates the circulation of and gives
access to printed publications, many of which have a very limited
distribution. It provides information about ideas, projects, practices,
and discussions taking place in the broader field of contemporary art
and culture. With each participating venue, the Traveling Magazine
Table will be updated with new materials, and made available for public
consultation. To update the Traveling Magazine Table, and thus to
guarantee its continuity and growth, Nomads+Residents, its network, and
the participating host venues, will announce and distribute an open
call for submissions to receive new publications. A list of
contributions will be published on the Nomads+Residents website. We
invite you to contribute to Traveling Magazine Table.

Self-Presentations by Karl Larsson and Andreas Mangione staging the
project at Iaspis

Karl Larsson, artist-in-residence at Iaspis in Stockholm from 1 April –

A displacement of focus from studio to exhibition space means, for me,
that it leaves the problems of individuals struggling whilst making way
for a discussion concerning the collective. Foremost, it’s a question
of positioning oneself towards society. As a single individual one is
almost doomed to produce and consume unique products, whereas, as a
collective one can ask questions and make demands – both on rights and
obligations. As an artist I think the issue of belonging and standpoint
become very important as one publicly positions oneself in the world
within the work. Through this activity one becomes an example to
follow. My work tries to be a changeable outline for an artistic
practise and a way to examine from what direction and with what voice
authorities speak. I work collaboratively with several artists and I am
the editor for the magazine U-N-I-O-N. At this time I work mainly with
text, printed material, lectures and gestures. My working situation is
very similar to that of a writer, with the difference of being neither
a publishing agency nor an isolated space, but where the work can
function autonomous, exist. During my period at Iaspis I’ll be working
in collaboration with Andreas Mangione on the project entitled The
Archive of Small Fragments of War Enshrined in Everyday Life.

Andreas Mangione, artist-in-residence at Iaspis in Stockholm from 1
April – 30 September 2006

Through work with facades, text and lectures I let another historical
and geographical context interplay with, and find an expression in,
contemporary and local monuments, institutions and micro cultures. What
interests me is how a possibility for a decisive self-reference occurs
in that kind of meeting, where the production of myth and reality
uncovers and becomes general property, new thoughts and new realities.
During my time at Iaspis I will be working in collaboration with Karl
Larsson on The Archive of Small Fragments of War Enshrined in Everyday
Life.

Iaspis is an artist-in-residence program based in Stockholm and a
government funded institution supporting Swedish artists exhibiting
abroad. The main purpose of IASPIS is to facilitate creative dialogues
and collaborations between artists from Sweden and from other
countries. Both recently graduated and more established Swedish artists
could apply for specific projects to be realized in our studios in the
building of the Royal Academy of Fine Art in Stockholm. Artists from
abroad are invited by IASPIS for periods of two to six months,
sometimes in connection with exhibitions or other projects in Sweden.
The program is based around our ten studios in Stockholm, but we also
have studios in the cities of Gothenburg, Malmö, and Umeå.

IASPIS is funded by the Swedish government through the Swedish Visual
Arts Fund. The board consists of artists and museum professionals. The
international residency program is by invitation only. IASPIS is a
member of the international network for residential art centers, Res
Artis.

For information please contact us:
Phone: +46-8-402 35 77, fax: +46-8-402 35 92
E-mail: info at iaspis.com
Webb: www.iaspis.com
Post address: IASPIS, Box 1610, SE-111 86 Stockholm, Sweden.
Visiting address: Jakobsgatan 27, 3-4 floor, 111 52 Stockholm.