[spectre] Art and science: why duality is good, why (new media)theory is poor

Louise Desrenards louise.desrenards at free.fr
Sun Mar 12 16:50:55 CET 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Annick Bureaud" <annick at nunc.com>
To: "Jose-Carlos Mariategui" <jcm at ata.org.pe>
Cc: "Spectre" <spectre at mikrolisten.de>
Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2006 2:39 PM
Subject: Re: [spectre] Art and science: why duality is good, why (new
media)theory is poor

> Jose-Carlos wrote :
>
>>  usually the most deep and open criticisms come from the
>> outside of a discipline, from "the other", that is excluded from the
>> dialog
>
> so ... if this is true for science (I would rather use the plural
> "sciences"), this should be true for art too. Let's people "outside the
> art" or "arts" (plural again) look at what art is doing ;-)
> no more theoreticians, art philosophy, etc.
> ... huh ! May be it is what is already happening and what we (the critics,
> theoreticians, philosophers, artists, curators, media activists, etc.) are
> fighting against.

Sorry of my very special Anglophone language :

Can be there are too much numerous experts speaking of Art (Arts) by a way
that drives (it) them to the orders, as we know how money comes through the
discourse of Art and through the conceptual criticism of Art(s) waited by
certain institutions or foundations. In the former times there was too
orders coming from institutions. But institutions did not conditioned (but
only the subject) the free interpretative answer by the artist. That is
exactly not more the actual situation.

Money does not come directly to Art but to curators or to any happy few as
artists being able to make the academic discourse of their artistic actions.
What does not give the best sign that Art (even they would be several) would
be so representative of its traditional symbolic tribute. Artistic acts of
artists have not to speak of themselves but only by themselves...

More having to be explained or extended by the discourse of their artist
Arts do not reveal of the force of their acts but all the contrary.

During the modernity and the post-modernity several artists were too writers
or poets, any of them philosophers too, other were criticizes, or writers
and mathematicians were same time poets or artists -I shall give few between
a lot of examples as different as are Raymond Queneau, or Topor, or
Jodorowski, or Lewis Carroll, Wittgenstein, even nowadays by a part of the
different works of Peter Sloterdijk, but that was/is always in a register of
feeling or trans-intellectual as a gift (even a published work under private
signature) toward their respective field to other artists or to people. That
was not of marketing nor of lobbying but of change, can be sold but not
exactly as commodity.

In fact I think that the problem of the relationship of Sciences with Arts
it is not the problem of what is an Art, but the problem that Sciences are
not Arts by the fact that Sciences work always with a methodology to
experiences can being reproduced or not approved as result -even these ones
or human sciences regarding stochastic to relative reality "decidability" as
they say. While Arts are the expression of the free feeling or
interpretation to a work as event, not as the truth of a proof, but as real
event.

There is something shamanist in Arts and in Poetry that never would be
abolished, even the artists as members of the demiurgic part of societies
would have left to be representative, their would stay any ones not being
called artists but following creative objects, even virtual, from their own
predictable feelings of their time of their imagination of other times.

The question is that more Arts leave their traditional reprentativity (that
comes more from the trans-modern environment and social connections after
the times of the connective production) more they leave their social
interest and more they are unsupported, more Sciences appear as an
alternative providential supporting truth to renew Arts -that makes a
consequent -between the numerous- entropy of Arts. Because unfortunately
there is not at all -or by misunderstanding- connection between the symbolic
events and the scientific proofs without which there are no sciences.

But they may have game between themselves, they may play together: can be
very interesting as dialectical installation of the mind ; but without
critical relationship it is a very dangerous game to the actual player whose
name is Art. And both time it is a very dangerous game in matter of
freedom - free event as butterfly of which poetry is a field useful towards
any price to humanity.

Can be more an extending scientific field to call for money from the side of
the " absolute commodity " at the cost of Art.

But overall we cannot be reductionist of Arts, by this way we can only say :
if entropy is so much advanced can be Arts as collectively representative
are really dead (as Baudrillard could told of since a moment event he was
not understood, in the historical sense of the lost symbolic connections to
the trans-modern societies and power regarding the artistic acts
themselves). Fortunately Artist and Poets are still alive, I guess.. and
Sciences are in revolution of their Aristotelian paradigm (by elements), in
stochastic paradigm of environment to living elements in plasticity.

L.