[spectre] Digital Art News from LACDA

curator at lacda.com curator at lacda.com
Mon May 15 02:17:30 CEST 2006

Los Angeles Center for Digital Art
107 West Fifth Street
Los Angeles, CA 90013

http://www.lacda.com
lacda at lacda.com

Dear Friends and Artists,

Here is the latest news from L.A. Center for Digital Art!

LACDA was a featured gallery for the L.A. County Museum of Art (LACMA) "Muse Art Walk" on April 22nd. (http://www.lacma.org). The L.A. Times reported 3,000 persons in attendance on Gallery Row in their feature article on the event:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-artwalk23apr23,1,6291515.story

Persons from MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art) were present on the opening day for our "Top 40" winners show. Peter Frank (L.A. Weekly critic and principal curator for the Riverside Art Museum) viewed the "Top 40" and was most impressed by the scope and quality of the work.
http://moca.org
http://www.riversideartmuseum.org/peter_frank_riverside_art_museum.html

Works in our "Top 40" show were sold to movie producer Beau Flynn and director Joel Schumaker (8mm, Phone Booth, Batman and Robin, etc.). They were shooting a movie in our building with Jim Carrey, he was spotted in front of the gallery!

Thomas Moritz of the J. Paul Getty Trust attended the opening for "New Math" (our current show) which was quite the hit. See the review of New Math artist Andy Lomas. We have had calls from writers from the L.A. Times, Libraries & Archives at the Museum of Fine Arts (Boston), interest from CNET and were featured in the Downtown News as well many others. Over 400 persons attended on the opening day for this exhibit.
http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3467&page=

"New Math" artist Nathan Selikoff's Suspension #3, one of his strange attractor prints, is showing at the San Diego Art Institute 2006 Digital International Exhibition, sponsored by SONY. The exhibition dates are April 30 to June 4, 2006. LACDA artists Kathryn Jacobi and Chris Orfescu are also in this exhibit.

"New Math" artist Andy Lomas featured work in the 2005 Japan Media Arts Festival at the Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Photography, and SIGGRAPH 2005 in L.A.  He has a solo show Arizona State University in their Computing Commons Art Gallery. For the 5th Beecher Center Annual Digital Art & Animation Competition two pieces were selected for the exhibition in Youngstown, Ohio.

LACDA artist Cris Orfescu's NanoArt work 'Flamingo' was selected for the 'On Site at the Gate 2006' juried exhibition at the Angels Gate Cultural Center, in San Pedro, California. Juror, Rebecca Morse is curatorial associate at The Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) in downtown Los Angeles.

Our exhibit "UPGRADE" was featured as a "GO" (pick of the week) and reviewed in the L.A. Weekly for our exhibit of extraordinary digital/dance hybrid works brought to us by Dance Camera West and UCLA Live.  If you are in Los Angeles don't miss the the event (in conjunction with the LACDA presentation of videos by Dance Camera West Festival) at the UCLA Hammer Museum "Beyond Dance Film" (Saturday, June 10 8pm) "a unique installation of 25 international short films of dance, shown continuously on multiple screens and on projected surfaces in the Hammer Museum's courtyard.
http://www.hammer.ucla.edu/programs/52/

For those who have not yet viewed, see LACDA on ABC7 "Eye on L.A." in a feature on galleries in the downtown art scene at the following link. High speed recommended.
http://lacda.com/press/eyeonla.html

Entries for our upcoming Juried Competition are coming in steadily, there are copious amounts of outstanding work. The deadline is May 21 for those interested.
Full prospectus: http://lacda.com/juried/juriedshow.html
Direct link for registration: http://www.acteva.com/booking.cfm?bevaid=110175

Thanks to all for your brilliance and continuing support!

Yours,

Rex Bruce

Director