[spectre] The globalizing joys of Spectralization

Bruce Sterling bruces at well.com
Wed Nov 1 21:36:03 CET 2006

"The list originally emerged from a rather dense community of people
who met quite regularly at festivals and conferences in europe in the
later 1990s. these meetings, organised under the name of a precursor
to this list, the 'Syndicate', wove a dense web of friendly relations
among the two or three hundred subscribers at that time. it still
forms an important basis of how we situate our work for the list, but
with its now more than 1.100 subscribers the spectre-list has of
course turned much more anonymous.

"if you scan through the postings of the past months you get quite a
good idea of the spread of people and activities that make up this
rather virtual community. it would be nice if some people took up the
habit again of sending reports about trips or visits that they make,
since those kinds of reports are often the best information sources
you can get for understanding what is going on in a certain city, or
region."

*Well, I was Syndicate, and me and La Tesanovic are in Amsterdam
right now at the Lloyd Hotel.
If you're Spectre, let's have a beer.

Bruce Sterling
http:://blog.wired.com/sterling