[spectre] Re: SPECTRE Digest, Vol 45, Issue 23

William Bowles williambowles at williambowles.info
Fri Nov 17 12:58:55 CET 2006

Re this: It's a spoof

bill

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 19:00:58 +0100
> From: jaromil <jaromil at dyne.org>
> Subject: [spectre] 'COMPASSIONATE SLAVERY' MARKET FOR AFRICA: WTO
> To: spectre at mikrolisten.de

> - ----- Forwarded message from World Trade Organization -----
>
> November 13, 2006
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>
> WTO ANNOUNCES FORMALIZED SLAVERY MARKET FOR AFRICA
> US Trade Representative to Africa, Governor of Nigeria Central Bank
> weigh in at Wharton
>
>     Text, photos, video: http://www.gatt.org/wharton.html
>     WTO Contact: Hanniford Schmidt (mailto:schmidt at gatt.org)
>     Conference website: http://www.whartonglobal.com/africa/
> panels.asp#Trade
>     Conference contacts: http://www.whartonglobal.com/africa/
> contact.asp
>
> Philadelphia - At a Wharton Business School conference on business in
> Africa, World Trade Organization representative Hanniford Schmidt
> announced the creation of a WTO initiative for "full private
> stewardry of labor" for the parts of Africa that have been hardest
> hit by the 500 years of Africa's free trade with the West.
>
> The initiative will require Western companies doing business in some
> parts of Africa to own their workers outright. Schmidt recounted how
> private stewardship has been successfully applied to transport,
> power, water, traditional knowledge, and even the human genome. The
> WTO's "full private stewardry" program will extend these successes to
> (re)privatize humans themselves.
>
> "Full, untrammelled stewardry is the best available solution to
> African poverty, and the inevitable result of free-market theory,"
> Schmidt told more than 150 attendees. Schmidt acknowledged that the
> stewardry program was similar in many ways to slavery, but explained
> that just as "compassionate conservatism" has polished the rough
> edges on labor relations in industrialized countries, full stewardry,
> or "compassionate slavery," could be a similar boon to developing
> ones.
>
> The audience included Prof. Charles Soludo (Governor of the Central
> Bank of Nigeria), Dr. Laurie Ann Agama (Director for African Affairs
> at the Office of the US Trade Representative), and other notables.
> Agama prefaced her remarks by thanking Scmidt for his macroscopic
> perspective, saying that the USTR view adds details to the WTO's
> general approach. Nigerian Central Bank Governor Soludo also
> acknowledged the WTO proposal, though he did not seem to appreciate
> it as much as did Agama.
>
> A system in which corporations own workers is the only free-market
> solution to African poverty, Schmidt said. "Today, in African
> factories, the only concern a company has for the worker is for his
> or her productive hours, and within his or her productive years," he
> said. "As soon as AIDS or pregnancy hits--out the door. Get sick, get
> fired. If you extend the employer's obligation to a 24/7, lifelong
> [...]

---
InI - InvestigatingnewImperialism http://www.williambowles.info/
RSS: http://www.feedfire.com/site/rss.cgi?ChanContentId=001779
Skype me at: wbowles

Our enemies...never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
and our people, and neither do we.
- George W. Bush at the Signing of H.R. 4613, the Defense
Appropriations Act for Fiscal Year 2005