[spectre] Re: <nettime> Important Thai education site closed

Stephen Kovats kovats at v2.nl
Tue Oct 3 01:15:06 CEST 2006

Dear Keiko

of course, we can, and must support your call! It's typical in these
foggy 'bloodless coup' situations that clearly independent
information and education constructs such as the Midnight University
are among the first major victims of 'order' to be indiscriminately
swept away. This is a despicable act against basic human rights that
obviously has nothing to do with the supposedly lofty public claims
of the military to 'save democracy from corruption' as it has been
trumpeted in the media. It's equally despicable that the political
reaction to the coup d'etat has been accordingly just as mute.
Thailand seems to have the chosen the Burmese model of progressive
democratic and social development, a model which can not be in
anybody's best interest, whether in Thailand or anywhere else on the
planet.

If you have a specific forum through which to articulate this
situation, let us know!

greetings,

Stephen!

> On 9/30/06, Keiko Sei <keikosei at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>>   This mail is sent by Bcc. As you know, there was coup d'etat in
>> Thailand on Sept.19. Despite the attempt by the military council to
>> portrait it as a friendly coup, they are imposing censorship in
>> various
>> fields. Recently they closed the important on-line education site,
>> Midnight University <www.midnightuniv.org>. This on-line education
>> has
>> been created for those people who cannot afford to go to higher
>> education to be informed and empowered. It is one of the most
>> enlightening media in Thailand, and I contribute to them, too, for
>> free
>> and copyleft, as I support their object. In fact this is the second
>> time they are closed down by the authority: the first time because by
>> the Thaksin government, and this time because they are critical
>> towards
>> the coup and the military council. The closure of their site
>> seriously
>> obstructs educational process of millions of people who depend on
>> them,
>> blocking the free flow of information and exchange of people's ideas,
>> and is a total setback of democratic process of the country, just
>> like
>> the coup d'etat is. I would appreciate if you help their petition
>> campaign by adding your name and circulate their message to your
>> friends. Thank you very much for your constant help for the
>> democratic
>> path of South East Asia.
>>
>>   Keiko
>  <...>

> #  <nettime> is a moderated mailing list for net criticism,
> #  more info: majordomo at bbs.thing.net and "info nettime-l" in the
> msg body
> #  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nettime at bbs.thing.net

************************************
V2_Institute for the Unstable Media
Stephen Kovats_Program Curator
e_  kovats at v2.nl
www.v2.nl

Immersive Mixed Reality Environments
October 21, 10.00 - 17.00 (CEST)
Erasmuc MC I-Space Research Centre
featuring Maurice Benayoun, Derek Hales, Sonia Cillari, Pierre Proske
please register via press at v2.nl

CREATIVITY 2.0
2nd China Bloggers Conference
Hangzhou, China October 28/29, 2006
Live Rotterdam Satellite Saturday October 28, 10.00 - 14.00 (CEST)
http://cnbloggercon.org/2006/en

TANGENT_CONSPIRACY
featuring übermorgen, Alessandro Ludovico and Florian Cramer
Friday December 01, 20.00 (CET)

** IFFR07 Speed of Light - Jan 25 - Feb 10,  2007 **

** DEAF07 - APRIL 10 - 29, 2007 **