[spectre] a message from inke and andreas, your spectre hosts

Andreas Broeckmann abroeck at transmediale.de
Tue Oct 31 18:34:08 CET 2006

dear friends, dear spectre-subscribers,

greetings from the list's hosts, inke arns and andreas broeckmann,
based in dortmund and berlin.

the fifth anniversary of the spectre list has quietly passed at the
end of the summer, and we would like to take the opportunity to
welcome those who have subscribed in the last months to this deep
european channel for information and discussions on art and media
culture.

we established a list in 2001 as a communication channel for people
involved in the broad field of digital culture, mainly in europe,
though of course also beyond. we maintain it as a way for this
disparate community to inform the others about ongoing activities,
plans, and more general conceptual considerations. despite the fact
that the list is mostly used for announcements, we welcome responses
to postings and discussions of related topics.

the list originally emerged from a rather dense community of people
who met quite regularly at festivals and conferences in europe in the
later 1990s. these meetings, organised under the name of a precursor
to this list, the 'Syndicate', wove a dense web of friendly relations
among the two or three hundred subscribers at that time. it still
forms an important basis of how we situate our work for the list, but
with its now more than 1.100 subscribers the spectre-list has of
course turned much more anonymous.

if you scan through the postings of the past months you get quite a
good idea of the spread of people and activities that make up this
rather virtual community. it would be nice if some people took up the
habit again of sending reports about trips or visits that they make,
since those kinds of reports are often the best information sources
you can get for understanding what is going on in a certain city, or
region.

we hope that you appreciate the contributions to the list and would
like to encourage subscribers to sharing their own activities in the
field of art and media culture with the others.

best regards,

inke & andreas