[spectre] The pope the emperor the religions as culture

Louise Desrenards louise.desrenards at free.fr
Sat Sep 30 15:34:45 CEST 2006

Hi! Heiko,

I am not a co-activist from Gush Shalom, but I appreciate their activism
more their traditional mode of aphorisms which tells from inside the one who
writes, a sort of subjective but certain tribute not a command, to others,
what respects self freedom; it is so much more interesting, as activist
expression, just at the moment any of us voluntarily have left the universe
of the watchwords under the command of the political parties or activist
movements.

As for Uvnery: of course there always stays a part of demagogy from a very
point of view of western and Israeli  comprehensive brotherhood, something
as infra-nationalism fossil, at Avnery's activist publications...

But there is always an interesting point of view in it, that is the
agreement of the positive convivial life as convenient taste of life, by
washing something and making the criticism of the belief itself, can be the
religion, can be sciences, can be politic, even not washing all the view...

>From this point: if I send such articles here, it is not as integral
fighting but hope a debate from this relative but real tribute outside of
the religion (but not outside of the consensual western ideology).

For instance, such answer as yours ‹and mostly knowing the context of this
pope from Germany‹ is surely welcome, and probably inescapable argument;-)

Of course I agree your discernment (and that evocates my own position).

L.

On 30/09/06 12:07, "Heiko Recktenwald" <uzs106 at uni-bonn.de> probably wrote:

> Uri Avnery is putting things in a strange order, whatever this is good
> for, and, most important, people like to overlook it, he forgets to tell
> us that the question, it was not more than a question, was part of a
> longer conversation amongst FRIENDS!
>> At the end of the
>> 14th century, the Emperor Manuel II Palaeologus told of a debate he had - or
>> so he said (its occurrence is in doubt) - with an unnamed Persian Muslim
>> scholar. In the heat of the argument, the Emperor (according to himself)
>> flung the following words at his adversary:
>>
>> "Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find
>> things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the
>> faith he preached".
>>
> This is the question. But what follows next is the basic norm of the
> Pope, what he is fighting for, with which he has started his "dies
> academicus" speech. The next comes first! It is the introduction to the
> famous question above.

Yes