[spectre] CELLSBUTTON#01 / YOGYAKARTA INTERNATIONAL MEDIA ART FESTIVAL#01 2007

venzha christ venzha at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 21 08:58:43 CEST 2007

Adviser note :

Cultural Specificities of Media Arts in Asia

Gunalan Nadarajan (SIN/US)

The art world has its centres and peripheries – the
centres usually generating the primary discourses and
practices that determine what come to be accepted as
the possible and significant while the peripheries
reflect their anxiety about the centres by blindly
mimicking them or vehemently rejecting them.
Globalization abetted by the proliferation of
communication and information technologies is often
touted to have complicated the sustainability of such
distinctions. The global media arts topography that
seems to have developed however has merely followed
the contours of existing disparities in access to
these technologies. This oft-neglected disjunction
between the rhetoric of globalized media and the
specific ways in which media technologies are actually
being interpreted and exploited is most conspicuous in
the media arts developments of Asia.
(more)
http://www.natural-fiber.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=53

Every body is a teacher.
every place is a school

Rob van Kranenburg (NL)

It took me five years to figure out, to grasp, -
understand - let me use the word resonate - these
lines of Heraclite: and I rephrase them in my own
lines - “of all that which is dispersed haphazardly,
the order is most beautiful.” In the Fragments you
read that these lines are incomprehensible as far as
the Heraclite scholars are concerned. They can not
link it as a line of verse with other words in other
lines in verse. I read it and in reading I knew it to
be true. Knowing that only as experience is not very
productive in a society that has no non-iconic medium
for transmitting these kinds of ex periences. In order
to make this experience productive; read: make it
politically viable and socially constructive - in
order to find ways of transmitting, ways of teaching
experiences like this - we textualise them. We find
analogies, we read initial lines as metaphor, as
metonomy.
 (more)
http://www.natural-fiber.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=49

Cellsbutton: synchronizing shared authorship

Deanna Herst (NL)

As one of the first initiatives in Indonesia,
Cellsbutton intends to develop a practical and
theoretical framework for media arts in this country.
The philosophy of this new media arts festival
reflects the innovative approach of  its founder,
Jogjakarta’s House of Natural Fiber (HONF).
Questioning the ramifications of technology and
exploring the possiblities for new artistic practices
is the starting point for the artists, designers and
programmers of HONF. Their approach is
interdisciplinary, focusing on crossovers between
technology, art, philosophy, design and sciences.
For HONF, the socio-cultural environment is an
important context for their projects. More
specifically, HONF expresses its social responsibility
through a creative dialogue with local communities.
One example once explained by Venzha: In Indonesia,
telecommunication seems almost everywhere. But in
fact, not many people have access to it.  For the
future we intend to build a telecommunication system
that can help people and can provide a new framework
to approach this situation of communication needs.

(more)
http://www.natural-fiber.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=50

CELLSBUTTON# 01

YOGYAKARTA INTERNATIONAL MEDIA ART FESTIVAL#01 2007
20 - 30 august 2007

www.natural-fiber.com

organized by
the house of natural fiber, yogyakarta new media art
laboratory (HONF)

Research
Workspace
Workshop
Exhibition
Concerts
Performance
Screening
City Project
Project Presentation

www.natural-fiber.com

The house of natural fiber, yogyakarta new media art
laboratory / HONF, was founded in 1999. Our main focus
is artistic development and innovation of the arts. We
intend to achieve this goal especially by introducing
new media art projects and workshops to the cultural
environment of Yogyakarta. Every program is aimed at
interactivity with the people and their social and
cultural environment.
Thinking forward, positivity and creativity is the
vision for our community. This vision is implemented
in every program: we try to develop a symbiosis
between art and technology. In our concept of the
future of art and technology, the analysis of the
specific role of technology within the arts in itself
is crucial.

University :
1. Gadjah Mada University (UGM) : research –
presentation – bricolabs workshop
2. Duta Wacana University (UKDW) : research -
presentation – bricolabs workshop
3. Atma Jaya University (UAJY) : presentation –
workshop
4. Indonesia Institute of the arts (ISI) :
presentation – workshop – discussion
5. Sanata Dharma University USD) : discussion –
presentation - sharing

Space :
1. HONF laboratory : workspace – discussion -
screening
2. JOGJATRONIK : Opening Party - presentation
3. LIP (Lembaga Indonesia Prancis) : Concert –
workshop – presentation - screening
4. Mes 56 : Concert – workshop - presentation
5. Kedai Kebun Forum: workspace – presentation

Club / cafe :
1. OWN café : presentation – screening - chillout -
bar
2. Embassy club: DJ/live PA - visual- bar

Special venue / camp / forest :
1. PPSJ (Wild Animal Rescue Centre) : concert –
discussion – workshop - presentation

-------------

www.natural-fiber.com

Participant :

Selina Shah (UK)
Clare Shanahan (Ireland)
Kevin / RYbN (France)
Therese Schuleit (Germany)
Brian Sherry (Ireland)
Jin Hee Yoo (Korea)
Marika Dermineur (France)
Ariadna Alsina (Spain)
PerezOldSkool (Malaysia)
Jack / RYbN (France)
Adam Paul Anderson (USA)

R.Pramono Aji (Yogyakarta)
Tommy Surya (Yogyakarta)
Hendra Brawijaya / Saylow (Bali)
Venzha (Yogyakarta)
Hasan Murod (Yogyakarta)
D H (Bandung)
Anggun Priambodo (Jakarta)
Benny Wicaksono (Surabaya)
FIAT TV (Yogyakarta)
Boy + Naro (Yogyakarta)
Irene Agrivina (Yogyakarta)
Achmad Pradekso (Yogyakarta)
Prof. Irfan (Yogyakarta)
Prof. Jaka widada (Yogyakarta)
JackD2 (Yogyakarta)
ZeTH (Yogyakarta)
Inventory Reality (Yogyakarta)

VJ’s :
vjnumberone (Yogyakarta)
motioninja / UVG (Jakarta)
chainsmokingbastard (Bandung)
video hack (Surabaya)
digitalillusion (Solo)
rootsdigitalized (Jakarta)
the departure (Yogyakarta)
digital hallucination (Bandung)
publicspace (Surabaya)
mocco (Jakarta)
MUTH (Surabaya)

Live PA :
Electrocore (Yogyakarta)
lintang enrico (Yogyakarta)
Monotron Prostitute (Semarang)
midijunkie (Yogyakarta)
uncle 303 (Jakarta)
apple stereo (Surabaya)
Natural Airwaves (Bandung)
DubYouth (Yogyakarta)
Jahanam (Yogyakarta)
Hengky strawberry (Yogyakarta)
Crazyculture (Yogyakarta)
Uma Guma (Yogyakarta)
Terror Incognita (Semarang)
The Projector (Surabaya)
Godmode (Yogyakarta)
SOAC (Yogyakarta)

DJ’s :
Sonny (Yogyakarta)
Bima (Jakarta)
Wza (Yogyakarta)
Dasa (Bandung)
Billy (Yogyakarta)
DMZ (Bandung)
Celcius (Jakarta)
Dewa (Yogyakarta)
Louvi (Yogyakarta)
Fadlie (Jakarta)
Navis (Yogyakarta)
Alan (Yogyakarta)

MC’s :

Mc Erno (Yogyakarta)
Mc electrocore (Yogyakarta)
XBO (Yogyakarta)
Boy (Yogyakarta)
Mc Jamze (UK)

Steaming / Web / Interview /
Recent Works :

React Table (Spain)
CIANT (Czech Republic)
Station Mir (France)
Andrius Rugevicius (Lithuania)
Art Sensitive (France)
Emmanuel Maa BERRIET (France)
Ecole Regionale des Beaux-Arts, Caen (France)
Michal Marianek (Czech Republic)
Mains dOEuvres (France)
Artskool (France)
Yuichi Nagao (Japan)

----------------------------
www.natural-fiber.com

venzha

the house of natural fiber
yogyakarta new media art laboratory (HONF)
Jl.wora wari A80/6
Baciro Yogyakarta
Indonesia
T : +62 (0) 817468621