[spectre] Final Call: Art Commission - Futuresonic 2008

Inke Arns inke.arns at snafu.de
Fri Dec 14 12:08:20 CET 2007

From: Drew Hemment <drew at futuresonic.com>
Subject: Final Call: Art Commission - Futuresonic 2008
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 11:04:08 +0000

REMINDER: CALLS FOR SUBMISSIONS

18th December 2007, 5pm - Art Commission deadline

FUTURESONIC 2008 ART AWARD
1-4 May, Manchester, UK

A commission valued at GBP 5000 is available to
create a new artwork, plus Futuresonic can
support a limited number of other projects, and
invites submissions of projects that do not
require funding from the festival.

Futuresonic now invites artists, thinkers and
makers to submit proposals and join us for one of
the biggest Social's of the year.

THE SOCIAL - SOCIAL NETWORKING UNPLUGGED

The Futuresonic 2008 theme is The Social - Social Networking Unplugged.
It will be "unplugged" in a number of ways. There
will be artworks involving offline
(or unplugged) collaborative social experience
and face to face social interaction.
Other projects will look at who is excluded and
left out of the loop of Web 2.0, and
so "unplugged" in another way. Also there is the
sense of pulling out the plug in
order to take the new social spaces apart, see how they work, and put them
together in new ways.

Art Submissions deadline -- 5pm, 18th December 2007

See also -- the Futuresonic 2008 Conference,
Music & EVNTS calls for submissions.

http://www.futuresonic.com/getinvolved

FUTURESONIC ART - SUBMIT NOW

Transforming the city into a space of
experimentation, making it come alive.
Futuresonic's art strand focuses on social and
participatory artworks which re-imagine the city.

The exhibition will feature a wide range of
artforms, and projects that respond to The Social
theme in different ways. It will include projects
that envision social futures, ambient
performances that play with social expectations
in public places, and artworks that explore
virtual spaces and online social networking.

It will feature web based work, installation,
software projects, performance and other formats.
Projects can involve online, mobile or offline
social networking. They can enable people to
experiment collaboratively with different kinds
of social experience and social interaction. Or
they can intervene in the forces, inequities and
inequalities that shape society.

Today we can occupy many different social spaces
at once. How can we make visible the unspoken
rules and etiquette that guide what we do in
public places, online and offline? Who are the
social revolutionaries? The misfits? The
conformists? Who has been left outside?

http://www.futuresonic.com/getinvolved

FUTURESONIC COMMISSIONS & PROJECTS

Futuresonic supports the creation of new work and
seeks to enable artists to develop work at a
larger scale. Futuresonic has an influence that
extends beyond the festival: it supports artists'
creative development, produces artworks which
then tour internationally, and develops projects
outside the festival period.

In 2007 Futuresonic commissioned new artworks for
the Futuresonic 2007 festival and for the
inaugural Manchester International Festival,
presented a showcase at the Sonar festival in
Barcelona, plus co-produced the worldwide launch
of the amazing TENORI-ON by Yamaha and Toshio
Iwai.

The audience for the 2007 festival was 76,600.
There were only two news items on regional TV on
the opening days of the exhibition, the
resignation of Tony Blair and the exhibition,
which was watched by a TV audience of 4 million.

http://www.futuresonic.com/getinvolved

FUTURESONIC 2008 TICKETS

CONFERENCE PASS AVAILABLE NOW

A Delegate Registration Form can be downloaded
from www.futuresonic.com/tickets/register.zip or
by visiting www.futuresonic.com/tickets

Alternatively, email Your Name, Address and
Contact Details to ideas2008 at futuresonic.com to
receive full conference details and priority
booking options.

OTHER FESTIVAL TICKETS

Details of Weekender Wristbands and Events Tickets available soon.

http://www.futuresonic.com

FUTURESONIC 2008

Futuresonic has 4 strands: Art, Music, Ideas and
EVNTS. Currently in its 12th year, the festival
occupies the orbits of both music and digital
culture.

A focus in recent years has been presenting
artworks in unexpected city spaces, and on social
art and social technologies.

Futuresonic now invites artists, thinkers and
makers to get social and present new types of
collaborative social experience at Futuresonic
2008.

This is a time when we see how electronic
communication can isolate us, as more and more
people drown in a deluge of email that generates
stress, even reducing IQ; and it is 40 years
since people took to the streets of Paris in 1968
calling for society to be abolished.

Join us as we go in search of the social today.

Web 2.0...
I take part
you take part
he takes part
we take part
you all take part
they profit.
(Slogan from Paris '68, remixed)

http://www.futuresonic.com

Futuresonic is supported by Arts Council England North West and
presented in association with ImaginationLancaster.