from Irina, Re: [spectre] Media Forum Moscow 2007

Inke Arns inke.arns at snafu.de
Mon Jul 9 15:20:52 CEST 2007

Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 09:15:25 -0400
To: czegledy at interlog.com
Cc: EAF Director <director at eaf.asn.au>, spectre at mikrolisten.de,
	czegledy at interlog.com
Subject: Re: Re: [spectre] Media Forum Moscow 2007
From: "Irina Aristarkhova" <ixa10 at psu.edu>

Dear Nina and others,

Thank you for your comments and for your interest
in our event. I am not sure where this current
discussion is coming from, so it is difficult for
me to respond, but I will try.

I can agree that taken out of context it does
lead to certain generalizations and
misunderstanding of terminology and definitions.
If you notice, both phrases - with regards to
"male and female body" are not meant literally,
they are specific references to specific
positions - one from Foucault's History of
Sexuality Introduction, 1st volume, and another
one from Kelly Oliver's book "Family Values". I
wrote this for our round table to start a
discussion, since the topic itself is old and
well presented.

During our round table, we discussed different
histories of sexuality and de-sexualizations
during Soviet period. Now there is Kulik's
retrospective in Moscow. Depending on one's own
'eye', one can only see Kulik's nude male body,
while for others it would be 'body of terror'
(e.g., Ryklin), or  "petit objet a" (Renata S.).

Thus, when one official said that 'we did not
have sex in the USSR" (u nas ne bylo sexa), she
used the word 'sex' as something foreign, without
using a Russian word for 'sex', and she spoke to
American audience.  To say that we did not have
sex would be absurd, and really, it is not about
sex at all ("this is not a pipe"). The same here
with the male and female body. Kelly Oliver does
not mean it literally when she talks about its
absence. Or Lacan (or Zizek who repeats him) when
says "woman does not exist': it is about
something else, at least, within these authors.

There are many positions, I just want to clarify
at the end that no one tries to deny or neglect
male body in art, or whatever we mean by this
here. We wanted also to discuss how a certain
history of performance art and its 'bodies' are
reflected in new media art too. This is a huge
topic, we were just outlining it during this
year's theme of Media Forum.

Best regards,
Irina