[spectre] New Thursday Club on 8 March with Sue Broadhurst (Goldsmiths, London)

Maria Chatzichristodoulou [aka maria x] drp01mc at gold.ac.uk
Thu Mar 1 18:11:39 CET 2007

Dear friends

this is our next stimulating Club event, DON'T MISS IT!
::
*
NEW THURSDAY CLUB on 8 MARCH with SUE BROADHURST*

Supported by the Goldsmiths DIGITAL STUDIOS and the Goldsmiths GRADUATE
SCHOOL

6pm until 8pm, Lecture Theatre at Ben Pimlott Building (Ground Floor,
right), Goldsmiths, University of London, New Cross, SE14 6NW

FREE, ALL ARE WELCOME

*DIGITAL PRACTICES*

Performance and technology in all its divergent forms is an emergent
area of performance practice which reflects a certain being in the world
- a Zeitgeist; in short, it provides a reflection of our contemporary
world at the beginning of the twenty-first century. In a relatively
short period of time there has been an explosion of new technologies
that have infiltrated all areas of life and irrevocably altered our
lives. Consequences of this technological permeation are both
ontological and epistemological, and not without problems as we see our
world change from day to day.

Exemplary digital practices are Blue Bloodshot Flowers (2001), featuring
an avatar called Jeremiah, Merce Cunningham’s Biped (2000) with its
virtual dancers, and Stelarc’s “obsolete body”; in film, the digital
innovation and creativity of The Matrix trilogy (1999-2003) and the Star
Wars prequels (1999-2005); in sound and new media interactive practices,
the digitally manipulated sound of Optik, the “intermedia” of
Palindrome, and the “electronic disturbance” of Troika Ranch; and in
Bioart, the “recombinant theater” of Critical Arts Ensemble, and the
“phenotypical reprogramming” and “functional portraits” of Marta de Menezes.

In my opinion the quintessential features within much of this
performance demand a new mode of analysis which foregrounds the inherent
tensions between the physical and virtual. These practices, in different
ways, emphasize the body and technology in performance and they explode
the margins between the physical and virtual and what is seen as
dominant traditional art practices and innovative technical
experimentation. Therefore, my main premise is the exploration and
investigation into the physical/virtual interface so prevalent within
the digital.

As a development of my previous theorization on liminality I believe
that aesthetic theorization is central to this analysis. However, other
approaches are also valid, particularly, those offered by recent
research into cognitive neuroscience, particularly in relation to the
emergent field of “neuro-esthetics” where the primary objective is to
provide “an understanding of the biological basis of aesthetic
experience” (Zeki 1999).

SUE BROADHURST is a writer and performance practitioner, Reader in Drama
and Technology, and the Head of Drama Studies in the School of Arts,
Brunel University, West London. She is author of Liminal Acts: A
Critical Overview of Contemporary Performance and Theory, London:
Cassell/New York: Continuum, 1999, Digital Practices: Aesthetic and
Neuroesthetic Approaches to Performance and Technology (forthcoming,
2007), Performance and Technology: Practices of Virtual Embodiment and
Interactivity (Palgrave MacMillan, 2006) together with various articles
including ‘Interaction, Reaction and Performance: The Jeremiah Project’,
The Drama Review, MIT Press 48, (4): 47-57. Sue is currently working on
a series of collaborative practice based research projects entitled,
“Intelligence, Interaction, Reaction and Performance,” which involve
introducing various interactive digital technologies into live
performance including, artificial intelligence, 3D film, modeling and
animation, and motion tracking. She is also editor of the Body, Space &
Technology on-line journal <http://www.brunel.ac.uk/bst/>.
--

...and the last Thursday Club of this term will be on

22 MARCH with IGLOO

International and award winning artists igloo create intermedia
artworks, led by Ruth Gibson & Bruno Martelli.

‘In the mid-sixties, Fluxus artists began using the term 'intermedia' to
describe work that was ....composed of multiple media. The term
highlights the intersection of artistic genres and has gradually
emphasized performative work and projects that employ new technologies.’
[Marisa Olson - Rhizome.org]

igloo projects are created with teams of highly skilled practitioners
drawn primarily from performance, music, design, architecture, costume,
computer science and technology backgrounds. Their work combines film,
video, motion capture technology, music and performance with digital
technology. The work is developed in a variety of formats and made for
distribution across a range of platforms, including gallery
installation, internet sites, large and small scale performance and Cd Rom.
Visit www.igloo.org.uk/
--

THE THURSDAY CLUB is an open forum discussion group for anyone
interested in the theories and practices of cross-disciplinarity,

For more information check http://www.goldsmiths.ac.uk/gds/events.php or
email maria x at drp01mc at gold.ac.uk
To find Goldsmiths check http://www.goldsmiths.ac.uk/find-us/

--
Maria Chatzichristodoulou [aka maria x] PhD Art and Computational
Technologies Goldsmiths Digital Studios www.cybertheater.org