[spectre] folly announces new Virtual Creatures online exhibition

Jennifer Stoddart jennifer.stoddart at folly.co.uk
Fri May 4 13:22:56 CEST 2007

I am pleased to announce the launch of folly's new online experience:

Virtual Creatures is an online exhibition offering a playful and
interactive experience within a virtual environment for new audiences of
folly. Each artist-created Virtual Creature will exist within cyber
space as a living entity to be petted, visited and/or played with.

A different creature will be highlighted each month at
www.folly.co.uk/creatures to encourage visitors to explore the meaning
and intent behind the creature's creation and existence, connect with
other visitors and folly staff by contributing to discussions and
express their opinions in forums and comments sections.

folly is a not-for-profit digital arts organisation, working in
Lancashire, Cumbria and online.

***PRESS RELEASE***
New folly webspace a home to Virtual Creatures

www.folly.co.uk/creatures

The internet is full of artificial life, and as you surf the web you
might happen upon some of these invented beings. But for your
convenience and pleasure, in this online exhibition folly has brought
together in a new webspace the work of five artists who have created
their own virtual creatures for you to play with. These creatures all
live in cyberspace, where you can pet, tease, manipulate and connect
with them.

Once you've visited and fallen for these creatures, you can talk about
them in folly's specially created online forum where we will be
highlighting a different creature every month.

Internationally-renowned artists featured in the project include Igloo
and Jason Van Anden.

folly Programme Co-ordinator Jennifer Stoddart said "Virtual Creatures
is part of our follyplay campaign, designed to reach out to new people
not yet familiar with digital art. By setting sophisticated pieces of
computer programming in a fun and interactive context, we hope many new
people will realise the possibilities of this exciting approach to
creativity".

Visit the creatures now at www.folly.co.uk/creatures