[spectre] blog with ana peraica (Modified by Geert Lovink)

Ana Peraica ana.peraica at st.htnet.hr
Fri May 11 15:18:52 CEST 2007

http://anarchiva.blogspot.com/2007/05/art-solidarity-desintegrated-why-
david.html

Art solidarity desintegrated Why David Maljkovic didn't get as much
support as once Sanja Iveković?
In 2002 when a Croatian artist Sanja Iveković has been canceled for the
Sao Paolo Bianual, cultural democracy seemed to be still working.
E-mails were sent out to e-mailing lists and there were vivid
discussions on the topic.

Let's recall Marina Gržinić's writing. to Syndicate. Now the situation
in 2007 appears to repeat to an artist David Maljković, but in a
completely different circumstances.

Internet e-democracy is not working in the same way. Letters of protest
have been written and sent out, but they ended up on blogs and in some
personal archives. Well, the Syndicate is not existing (not in he same
way) and on the Spectre we are reading only announcements while all
comments are sent by e-mails, behind. Nettime doesn't have much of
discussions, either. A world of supportive and critical networked
professionals has disintegrated.

The situation is about the same - an artist was commissioned for the
artwork, he has produced it in large deal and then he was kicked out -
not by a curator, but a national selector (let's not forget the
difference, as to the process of selection a power is attached
logically ("I can throw out") while curating is more about picking up,
thinking, combining, theorizing in practice.