[spectre] Call for Papers: 2nd International Workshop on Physicality

Gabriella Giannachi G.Giannachi at exeter.ac.uk
Wed May 16 16:07:55 CEST 2007

apologies for cross-posting
===========================================================Call for
Papers: 2nd International Workshop on Physicality
http://www.physicality.org
Workshop co-located with the British HCI 2007 conference
2-3 September 2007, Lancaster University, UK
==========================================================We live in an
increasingly digital world yet our bodies and minds are
naturally designed to interact with the physical. The products of the 21st
century are and will be a synthesis of digital and physical elements and for
the user, these will become indistinguishable. As we design hybrid
physical/digital products we have to understand what we lose or confuse by
the added digitality - and so need to understand physicality more clearly
than before.

We invite contributions that address physicality including:
- design at the physical-digital frontier
- the philosophy of physicality
- artefact-focussed social interaction
- physically-inspired interaction in virtual worlds
- creativity and materiality
- interactive art and performance
- digital emulation of the physical

The two-day workshop will seek to construct a fundamental understanding of
the nature of physicality: how humans experience, manipulate, react and
reason about 'real' physical things and how this may inform the future
design of innovative products.

This workshop will bring together researchers from industry and academia. We
welcome product designers, interaction designers, researchers in ubiquitous
computing, tangible interface and cognitive, social and philosophical
fields, and indeed all excited by this new challenge of the third millennia.

Important Dates
Submission Deadline            1 July 2007
Acceptance Notification      27 July 2007
Camera-ready Deadline        TBC
Workshop                              2-3 September 2007

We invite submissions in the form of a 4-6 page position paper in ACM Format
(see web site for more details).  If you would like to produce a
contribution in some other form (demonstration, artwork, performance, etc.)
please contact us. Submissions and enquiries should be sent to <devina AT
physicality.org>.

The workshop will include invited talks, short individual presentations, and
group activities. The contributions will be published in the workshop
proceedings. Building from this and the previous workshop, we are planning a
journal special issue and would hope that some of the workshop contributions
will be expanded for submission to this.

This workshop is sponsored by the DEPtH Project, which is part of the
Designing for the 21st century Initiative.

Program Committee
Dr. Devina Ramduny-Ellis (InfoLab 21, Lancaster University, UK)
Prof. Alan Dix (InfoLab21, Lancaster University, UK)
Steve Gill (National Centre for Product Design & Development Research, UWIC,
UK)

Monika Buscher (Dept. of Sociology, Lancaster University, UK)
Prof. Hans Gellersen (InfoLab21, Lancaster University, UK)
Prof. Gabriella Giannachi (Performance and New Media, University of Exeter,
UK)
Dr Masitah Ghazali (Information Systems Dept., Universiti Putra Malaysia,
Malaysia)
Dr Eva Hornecker (Pervasive Interaction Lab, Open University, UK)
Dr Caroline Hummels (Department of Industrial Design, Technische
Universiteit Eindhoven, The Netherlands)
Dr Simon Lock (InfoLab21, Lancaster University, UK)
Dr Gareth Loudon (National Centre for Product Design & Development Research,
UWIC, UK)
Dr Mark Rouncefield (InfoLab21, Lancaster University, UK)
Paula Alexandra Silva (InfoLab21, Lancaster University, UK)
Dr Jennifer Sheridan (BigDog Interactive, UK)
Prof. Lucy Suchman (Centre for Science Studies, Lancaster University, UK
Dr Steve Viller (Information Environments Program, University of Queensland,
Australia)

-----------------------
Related Links
Physicality.org - http://www.physicality.org
Physicality 2006 workshop - http://www.physicality.org/physicality2006
British HCI conference - http://www.bcs-hci.org.uk/hci2007/
Designing for the 21st century Initiative -
http://www.design21.dundee.ac.uk/index.htm

--
Prof. Gabriella Giannachi
Associate Professor in Performance and New Media