[spectre] Navigating the Space of the Future

Marieke Istha istha at nimk.nl
Wed Apr 9 16:11:25 CEST 2008

Navigating the Space of the Future

Netherlands Media Art Institute
April 15
Start 20.30 hour

LIVE STREAM: http://www.montevideo.nl/st/player.php

Seminar with presentations by: Yolande Harris, David Dunn and Atau Tanaka

What does it mean to navigate? What is the importance of location
specificity? What does it mean to get lost? The increasing accuracy of
satellite navigation strives to eliminate the possibility of human
error, but it also produces a sense of dislocation from one's immediate
environment by abstracting location as the coordinates of longitude and
latitude. What place is there for one's body, one's senses, one's
conscious and unconscious awareness of space, if this knowledge is so
apparently made redundant by GPS? What, if any, role can historical
skills of navigation at sea, of observation, choice, intuition and
improvisation play in navigating the spaces of the future? The symposium
'Navigating the Space of the Future' will take these questions as its
starting point to see if we can find our way within the dense
environment of global positioning technologies. The field is open but
the practice is just starting to form itself by looking at ways to
counter locative media strategies where geographical walks are organised
that use the city and the street as a playing field negating the
relation between space, architecture, time, body and mind. The
presentations will focus on new ways of interpreting data of location
and navigation by relating these directly to the physical (space)
through the use of sound.

Yolande Harris – Sun Run Sun (Artist in Residence NIMk)
Sun Run Sun explores the individual experience of current location
technologies through a personal experience of sound. It seeks to
(re)establish a sense of personal connectedness to one's environment,
and to (re)negotiate this through an investigation into old, new, future
and animal navigation using sound. Sun Run Sun investigates the split
between the embodied experience of location and the calculated data of
position. A series of portable personal instruments “satellite sounders”
developed for the residency, transform satellite data directly into a
sonic composition. This composition constantly varies in response to the
changing location of the player as they move through their physical
environment. 'The experience of sound is internal, as a process that
influences the relationship between the self and the environment. True
navigation consists of a continuously coherent relationship between the
two.'
http://sunrunsun.nimk.nl/
http://www.yolandeharris.net

David Dunn
David Dunn takes his research into the bioacoustics of bark beetles and
entomogenic climate change, and on ultrasonic audio phenomena in both
human and non-human environment as starting points to talk about
Acoustic Ecologies. He wants to bring forth the sonic presence of these
worlds for human contemplation of their inherent aesthetic beauty and to
show the amazing continuity of life, with its capacity for infinite
variation in audible communication. “Given the superabundance of how
music as a human activity has been used, I believe that music has
simultaneously been a strategy to evolve our capacity to
structurally-couple with our environment through our aural perception,
and a significant force for defining the boundaries of group affiliation
and for the affirmation of cultural status, giving voice to an
evolutionary heritage of an abundance of other coupling modes that are
greater than the rational mind alone.”
http://www.davidddunn.com
http://www.newmusicbox.org/article.nmbx?id=5399

Atau Tanaka
Atau Tanaka bridges the fields of media art, experimental music, and
research. He creates music for sensor instruments, wireless network
infrastructures, and democratized digital forms. Tanaka is best known
for his performances where he uses physical gestures to articulate music
and sound synthesis and real-time image transformation. For the past
years, inspired by the ever-changing social, geographic, ecological,
emotional context of using mobile technology for creative ends Tanaka
focusses his attention towards mobile media projects. He is exploring
the creative, critical and commercial potential of mobile music. “My
interest is to take interactive music practice off the stage and outside
the concert hall into the urban sphere. Mobile communications devices
are meant to connect groups of people. Musical concerts, similarly, are
situations that bring people together for a common purpose. Can we
elicit commonalities to make a community-based musical process, creating
a shared experience among users?” In his presentation he will pay
attention to the description of the architecture of an audio-visual
hard- and software framework that was developed for the realization of a
series of locative media artworks, and eliciting from this, he brings
afore fundamental issues and questions that can be generalized and
applicable to the growing practice of locative media.
http://www.xmira.com/atau

Start 20.30 h.
Entrance 3,50 (2,50 students)
Please make reservations 020 6237101 info at nimk.nl