[spectre] V2_: Life & Art: TransAgriculture Dec.19

V2_ joris at v2.nl
Tue Dec 9 11:13:03 CET 2008

V2_ Presents: Life & Art 1: TransAgriculture

Life & Art is a new program series at V2_ focused around the
intertwinement of art and life.
Asking whether art can be lived or a life can be art takes on a new
meaning in an age of
genetic technology, financial crisis and living art.

TransAgriculture is a one-day manifestation featuring penetrating
introductions to the field,
lectures on guerrilla and avant-gardening, and bioart forms.

Come to the kickoff of the Life & Art series on December 19, during /
Life & Art 1: TransAgriculture/, 10:00am–5:30pm.

Lectures and action with guests including:

Prof. René Boomkens, cultural philosopher
http://www.rug.nl/staff/r.w.boomkens/index

Bruce Sterling, author
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Sterling

Prof. Natalie Jeremijenko, avant-gardening
http://www.nyu.edu/projects/xdesign

Richard Reynolds, guerrilla gardener
http://www.guerrillagardening.org <http://www.guerrillagardening.org/>

Michiko Nitta, Extreme Green Guerrilla
http://myportfolio.me.uk/EGGs.htm

Moderator: Sebastian Olma

Life & Art 1: TransAgriculture

Banks are falling, the temperature is rising, the food in our
supermarkets is expensive and can't even be trusted. We are witnessing
the bankruptcy of industrialized agriculture and the notion that we can
control nature, culture and society. But think of all the new
opportunities this creates for artists! The processes by which we
sustain and shape our lives simply can’t be controlled from the top
down: they work from the bottom up. All modest activities at the
micro scale interact and coalesce into the macro systems by which our
world is organized. Messy actions downstream lead to solid connections
upstream.

This new bottom-up paradigm of interactivity, emergence and complexity
is now becoming vitally important in agriculture as well. It strongly
informs environmental questions and green thinking. Urban agriculture,
homegrown fashion, advanced bioart and guerrilla gardening are
some of the themes arising. Other tools for gaining access to the
self-organization of life are genetic technology and organic growing. In
our research program /Life & Art 1: TransAgriculture/, we use today's
rapidly transforming agriculture as the starter engine – in a
technological, artistic, social, cultural, political, economic and
gastronomic sense – to challenge artists to harness the full potential
of things to come.

Grow your own future!

View Reader texts: http://files.v2.nl/portal/reader_text01.rtf

Location: V2_, Eendrachtsstraat 10, Rotterdam
19 December
10:00am–5:30pm

Admission:
Full program including lunch: €20.00 [stud.: €15.00]
Program without lunch: €15.00 [stud.: €10.00]

Reservations:
E: v2 at v2.nl <mailto:v2 at v2.nl>
T: +31-10-206-7272

For more information please contact Alex Adriaansens:
E: alex at v2.nl <mailto:alex at v2.nl>

This event will be streamed live at http://live.v2.nl <http://live.v2.nl/>.
www.v2.nl