[spectre] THINKING NOTHING - Symposium on 31 July at University College Falmouth

Tyzlik-Carver, Magda Magda.Tyzlik-Carver at falmouth.ac.uk
Wed Jul 9 17:05:12 CEST 2008

Dear All,

PARRHESIA - A Journal of Critical Philosophy (www.parrhesiajournal.org) and COLLAPSE - Journal of Philosophical Research and Development (www.urbanomic.com)
in collaboration with iRes at University College Falmouth (www.ires.org.uk)
present a one day symposium:

THINKING NOTHING - the void and its resurgence in contemporary thought

Thursday, 31st July, 2008
from 10am to 5 pm
Library Seminar A
Woodlane campus,
University College Falmouth,
Cornwall, UK

>From the emergence of empty set as a basis for ontology, to materialist negative theology, to Metzinger's 'nemocentric' destitution of the subject, contemporary thought seems to be obsessed with nothing. But the politics of this nothing seems drastically different from its earlier existentialist and postmodern nihilistic incarnations. This symposium seeks to explore the problem of nothing in contemporary thought, asking precisely how the postulation of an inherent negativity as a productive realm of philosophical discourse has come to characterise our intellectual landscape, and how the contemporary void relates to those of Ancient and Modern philosophical traditions.

Speakers (TBC) to include:
Justin Clemens (University of Melbourne); Author of 'The Mundiad', 'Avoiding the Subject' [with Dom Pettman], and coeditor/translator of Alain Badiou's 'Infinite Thought'
Ray Brassier (Middlesex University); Author of 'Nihil Unbound', Translator of Alain Badiou's 'Saint Paul'
John Sellars (University of the West of England); Author of 'The Stoics'
and 'The Art of Living'
Robin Mackay (Middlesex University); Editor of 'Collapse', Translator of Alain Badiou's 'Number and Numbers'
Iain Hamilton Grant (University of the West of England); Author of 'Philosophies of Nature After Schelling'
Alex Murray (University of Exeter); Co-editor of parrhesia: a journal of critical philosophy, co-editor of 'The Work of Giorgio Agamben

This is a free event but places are limited. If you would be interested in attending, please rsvp to:
Magda.Tyzlik-Carver at falmouth.ac.uk
or
A.W.Murray at exeter.ac.uk
Please re-visit this page for regular updates to the programme of the symposium.
For information how to find us, please follow this link http://www.falmouth.ac.uk/732/the-college-8/how-to-find-us-51/how-to-find-us-54.html

For accommodation, try Accommodation Search (http://www.tremoughservices.com/accommodationsearch/public.asp?type=bedbreakfast) or Falmouth Lodge (http://www.falmouthbackpackers.co.uk/)

Kind regards, Magda
Magdalena Tyżlik-Carver