[spectre] abroeck: Deep Screen - Art in Digital Culture

Andreas Broeckmann ab at mikro.in-berlin.de
Wed Jun 4 09:16:40 CEST 2008

(last week, we opened the exhibition 'Deep Screen
- Art in Digital Culture' at the Stedelijk Museum
in Amsterdam, which runs until 30 September 2008;
below is my introductory text which, I hope, will
contribute to the ongoing debate on art and
media; in the 'Postscript on Media Art', I
diagnose 'the liberation of artistic media' ...
Comments are, of course, welcome. -ab)

exhibition info: http://www.stedelijk.nl/oc2/page.asp?pageid=1808
introdution text also available at:
http://www.mikro.in-berlin.de/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=texts

Deep Screen - Art in Digital Culture. An Introduction

Andreas Broeckmann

I. Preparations

The initial idea for this exhibition grew out of
the Stedelijk Museum's wish to dedicate one of
its periodical Municipal Acquisions Exhibitions
to art that uses digital and electronic media. In
our discussions last autumn we decided that it
would be interesting to take as a selection
criterium not the technical media in use, but to
focus on the ways in which artists respond to the
cultural and aesthetic changes afforded by
digital technologies. Importantly, we wanted to
open up the exhibition to artists who deal with
these cultural changes, even though in their
works they may not be using the most recent
technical inventions.

A call for proposals was published early in the
winter, inviting artists living and working in
the Netherlands to submit artworks that reflect
on the image as process, or event. The underlying
idea was that contemporary images, whether
digital or analogue, are neither static, nor
fixed once and for all. They are characterised by
generative processes and transformation over
time: in digital environments, even still images
are performed and experienced as events.
Moreover, we ascertained that visuality is no
longer a necessary condition of what constitutes
an image: sound and touch are increasingly
important in the new image realm.

In the advertisement, we attempted to offer an
inclusive definition of this expanded field of
the image as process and the image as event, a
field which encompasses generative computer code
as well as video screens, paintings that reflect
on their condition in the digital era, as well as
interactive and non-visual installations. We were
looking for works that tell stories and that
trace new routes of abstraction. Art projects
that are shared and cast across networked and
mobile devices. That manipulate our sense of
present, past, and future. Works that are agents
in the digital media ecology of images and that
approach, reflect and construct reality.

Another, often decisive criterium that the jury
applied, was that the selected works would
actively reflect on digital culture, and at the
same time imagine art beyond the digital.
As a result of this call we received, within only
a few weeks, submissions from around 200 artists
of quite different age groups and backgrounds,
and with a wide range of artistic media in use,
from painting and photography, through
interactive and software-based installations, to
typographic design and sound art. It is a matter
of course that the jury had an almost impossible
task to compare and select from such a variety of
approaches.

What the jury was most interested in was artistic
quality; while we were at times teased by cute
ideas and clever applications of hardware and
software technologies, we were really looking for
artistic substance in the proposed works and in
the oeuvre of the artist in general. What we had
to keep in mind was also the logic of a renowned
museum collection that, even if it is willing to
take risks, expects durability in the items it
acquires. Two questions thus became the basis for
the discussions of the jury: does this work
reflect, in an interesting and unique way, on the
cultural and aesthetic condition of our time, so
deeply influenced by digital technologies, and
the social practices associated with them? and is
this a strong work of art that we recommend for
acquisition by the Stedelijk Museum of Amsterdam?

While the jury finally agreed about the artists
that we selected for the exhibition, there were
of course many discussions about these, as well
as about artists who did not make it into the
show that will run throughout the summer of 2008,
as one of the last exhibitions in the Stedelijk's
temporary exhibition space in the Post CS
building. The jury decided to emphasise the
thematic focus of the call, which meant that some
strong works which did, however, not deal with
the exhibition theme, had to be excluded. In
cases of doubt, we tried to take a daring
approach, selecting work that would challenge the
museum and its audience to rethink their frames
of reference.

II. Into the Deep Screen

William Gibson's cyberpunk novel 'Neuromancer'
(first published in 1984) famously begins like
this: 'The sky above the port was the color of
television, tuned to a dead channel.' This
enigmatic image has fascinated many critical
technology afficinados, conjuring up a dystopian
post-medial world in which the spectacular mass
medium of television would merely be a faint
memory, a phenomenon as dull as a hazy sky. It
suggests a TV set, placed in an awkward position,
suspended from above, showering light and
electronic noise onto the landscape. Buildings,
roads, cars and people are reflecting the pixel
snow, the boundary between the hissing screen,
the glittering points of light, and the world
below, blurred beyond recognition.

A second historical deep screen goes back another
twenty years and presents not an expansive image
of the physical world swallowed by media, but to
the contrary, points to the very representational
limitations and technical idiosyncracies of any
medium. After abandoning music, the artist Nam
June Paik discovered the conceptual potentials of
electronic media. In 1963, he was the first
artist to use a TV set in an art exhibition, and
unlike others he was less interested in events
shown on the screen, than in the fact that the
technical and the social medium of television
could actually be manipulated. One of the most
direct interventions were Paik's experiments with
the magnetic field in which the cathode ray of
the TV tube is guided to draw the lines of light
that make up the image, onto the screen surface.
Magnet TV (1965) was an interactive setting in
which the audience was invited to move a strong
magnet around the exhibited TV set, twisting and
turning the screen image. Paik's own favourite
subjects for this playful 'demagnetisation' were,
a little later, US president Richard Nixon, and
the guru of the new media age, Marshall McLuhan,
whose belief in the liberatory potential of
television in the hands of artists encouraged
Paik to test this on McLuhan's own talking head.

The 'deep screen' which this exhibition takes as
its cue is thus not a new phenomenon. One could
also trace it to the broken surfaces of Cézanne's
late impressionist paintings, or to the
Renaissance and, for instance, Hans Holbein's
1533 double portrait of The Ambassadors, in which
a strange anamorphosis in the foreground,
camouflaging a skull, elucidates both the
material, painted surface, and the
multi-dimensional space of representation that
the painting opens up.

The 'deep screen' that the exhibition title
points to, implies a transgression of the
illuminated image surface; it is a dynamic,
spatial and temporal field which connects the
presence of the artwork to the process of
perception and interaction. An hypothesis that
the exhibition puts forward is that, while the
deep screen has distinct art historical
precursors, it is a phenomenon that has become
more complex in the age of electronic and digital
media. Like all good artworks, the individual
pieces in the show of course do a lot more than
illustrate a curatorial concept. However, as one
of their aspects, and in order to offer a red
thread for exploring the exhibition, the
presented works probe 'screen depth' in relation
to the construction and deconstruction of space,
in relation to the screen as a space of action
and interaction, and as a complex field of
perception.

The fluidity with which we can today imagine
virtual spaces as physical ones, and physical
spaces as virtual ones, is determined by our
experiences with digital image spaces which are,
by their very nature, temporal, fluid, and
endlessly modifiable. Digital imaging has not so
much physically transformed the material world,
but it has drastically changed the way in which
we look and imagine the world around us. Here's
an experiment: imagine a room in your home; think
of the furniture and things that you have in that
room; now imagine that you have a virtual model
of this room before your eye and you can fly
through this space while it is, at the same time
being stretched so that you cannot reach the end,
then contracting again to be rolled out onto a
flat surface, the virtual camera eye being
trapped somewhere in the middle of the plane. The
claim is that anybody who has experienced 3D
virtual spaces through goggles, in a projection,
or on a computer screen, can easily follow that
experiment and imagine the transformations of the
imagined space.

Oscillating between space and image, the
environments of David Jablonowski include
three-dimensional, sculptural objects,
two-dimensional images and graphic structures
which are sometimes bent and curved into the
third dimension, and they include one-dimensional
points of colour, pixel objects which have a
spatial extension only when viewed at a certain
angle. Otherwise these pixels become part of an
image space that we can walk through yet that we
can also, before our computer-trained inner eye,
collapse into a two-dimensional composition.

The reverse process can be observed in Erica van
Loon's photographic installations which show flat
images whose graphic structures have been
composed in physical spaces. The size and form of
the presenation defies the realism of the
photographic medium and tease the observer to
reconstruct the physical space which, in the
artwork, is forced into flatness.

In Gabriel Lester's installation of landscape
videos, Choreography, the camera person's
foresighted eye is replaced by robot cameras.
Their movements, each pan, each zoom, each turn,
seem devoid of any romantic intention which would
normally guide the human gaze in such an
environment. The rhythm of the music that plays
to the images is used as a functional trigger,
rather than as an emotional augmentation of the
mediated experience of nature. A similar
frustration of expectations is relayed by Persijn
Broersen and Margit Lukács' Hinterland #2 series.
The artists derive these images from the mass
media and clear them of any referential objects
or scenes, leaving only the backdrop. Like an
empty computer monitor, or a white sheet of
paper, these empty pieces of scenery hold the
potential for any event, and for any degree of
mediated boredom.

One such scene is the Lost Paradise in Meiya
Lin's video installation in which a postmodern
Adam and Eve, lounging in the mellow, virtual set
of a non-descript culture, devoid of guilt,
responsibility, or identity. While the earlier
large-scale drawings of Jasmijn Visser reference
a similar iconography of comic strips and
computer animations, her more recent works go
beyond the diagrammatic and use the same visual
language for the composition of dynamic, almost
cinematographic tableaus in which the animation
of space is being re-invented.

Luna Maurer's design strategies often include the
active involvement of the visitor or user. In her
Blue Fungus project for the Deep Screen
exhibition, she turns the entire museum space
into a potential image surface that the visitors
can fill, structure, and thus appropriate, with
an immense number of blue stickers. Here, the
exhibition space becomes identical, and
congruous, with the interactive screen of the
designer.

Any standard computer with a graphical user
interface teaches us that, whatever we see, can
be manipulated, clicked on, cut and pasted,
transformed, deleted. The extent of that
manipulation will in part be dependent on the
skills of the user, and in part on the degrees of
freedom that the software in use allows - a
realisation that is responsible for the
association of open source software with the
notion of liberty, and of the free software
movement with a particular type of social
liberation. We can see this effect of the image
space turned into a space of interaction in Luna
Maurer's project, which can also be read in
relation to the multi-user virtual worlds, like
Second Life, where users can design their
personal avatars as well as the collectively
visited virtual spaces. The (constructed)
pictorial realism of such worlds, as well as the
'natural' behaviour of the avatars populating
them, is put to the test by the modified Quake
levels which JODI are offering in their Untitled
Game hall. The spatial coordinates, as well as
the effects of our interaction seem largely out
of control, even though the event logic of the
games still appears to be in tact. In the same
way as Gabriel Lester undermines any romantic
notion of landscape, JODI undermine the naïve
assumption that virtual worlds are made of
anything but highly volatile digital code.

And while JODI seem to mock the seriousness of
1960s minimalism, the software-based, generative
drawing machines by Jochem van der Spek mimic the
action painters of the 1950s and replace their
spectacular gestural theatre by an independent,
rule-based yet lucid virtual mechanism. Equally
independent is the process that leads to the
detailed little sculptures of Erwin Driessens and
Maria Verstappen. The artists define certain
rules for the mathematical calculations which
simulate a form of natural selection to arrive at
three-dimensional, structurally open and strong
topological objects. The sculptures,
consecutively realised with a 3D-printer, are
based on an almost autonomous, machinic design
process, almost devoid of aesthetic
considerations.

Artworks like these tend to beg the question: who
is in control? Interactive art can dramatise that
question and turn it into an aesthetically
powerful proposition, like in the rotating
sculpture Spatial Sounds by Marnix de Nijs and
Edwin van der Heide which has the independent
behaviour of an angry, menacing animal. This is
an artwork that is neither a passive or benign
mechanism, nor one that will accept submission
under a self-assured observer. The screen here
becomes a tense battlefield in which the human
actor must admit defeat. - A defeat that has
already happened in Remco Scha and Arthur
Elsenaar's Face Shift which is predicated on the
idea that an intelligent machine has adopted the
human face as an interface, a screen for
expressing the its complex emotions.

If all of this was experienced in the waking
state, Nathaniel Mellors takes us into an uneasy
dream world where the loaded relationship between
human and machine is played out as an absurd and
psychotic piece of performance. As the narrative
unfolds, it becomes more and more difficult to
decide whether this nightmare has sprung from the
mind of a human, or from that of a machinic Time
Surgeon.

In its exploration of the way in which digital
media have transformed mediated perception, the
exhibition also asks whether, in the course of
that transformation, the domain of art has been
shifted, or whether that domain might in fact be
continuous with earlier or non-digital artistic
practices. An interesting example upon which this
question can be pondered are the painting and
video works by Roland Schimmel which present
seeing as a dynamic process. The activation of
images and after-images on the retinal screen of
the human eye is done no less effectively by the
still image of the painting than by the moving
image of the video. In contrast, Geert Mul's
SN.X4 offers an opportunity to look into the
parallel 'retinal' effects in the 'eye' of the
video apparatus. The same scene, shown in four
different ways by careful manipulation of the
optical and digital production technologies used,
hints at the metaphorical 'depth' of the systems
that bring forth these dynamic images.

The most fundamental question as to what
constitutes a 'screen' is posed by Gert-Jan
Prins' Make Before Break: the Cavity version, a
visually neutral space of pure,
non-representational sound that is, however, rich
in associations and acoustic structures. The
continuum between the sound sources, the spatial
distribution of the sound waves, the human ears
and the listening minds form the perceptual field
in which the sonic artwork takes shape, and makes
sense. Mark Bain, in a different, yet equally
radical gesture, turns the inside of our bodies,
especially our skeleton, into the resonant
surface on which his work, StartEndTime, is
presented. The event of the September 11th attack
on the World Trade Center in New York, documented
as seismographic waves, has been transformed into
an event that reverberates in the medium of our
body.

Like Bain's installation, a number of the works
in this exhibition are, even though they may have
been produced with the help of a computer, not
dependent on digital technology for their
presentation. Nevertheless, they mark significant
aspects of a contemporary art practice that tries
to come to terms with the aesthetic and cultural
conditions of a time in which digital techniques
and apparatuses have become a quasi natural part
of the environment we inhabit. Therefore, even
the almost archaic techniques, layered on top of
each other in Pierre Bastien's installation
Somewhere in the Dark, characterise a
contemporary media ecology in which light,
shadows, the human voice (here that of Robert
Wyatt) and acoustic music continue to be crucial
means of artistic expression.

III. Postscript on Media Art

The present exhibition makes no particular
commitment to the display of digital technologies
or of current trends in techno-culture. This is a
decision that might be looked at critically by a
media art scene that defines itself in contrast
to the contemporary art field. The underlying
potential for disagreement emerges from different
evaluations of the cultural field characterised
by interests in art, technology, internet
culture, design, electronic music, open source
software, game culture, and many related issues.
This field, which we can call digital culture,
has over the last four or so decades been growing
from a marginal subculture to a diverse and
fractured stratum that cuts right across
contemporary society. As the first generation
grows up that has a more intimate relation with
the personal computer than with television, it
will become less and less relevant to even
distinguish between digital culture and
contemporary culture in general. This is also
why, for artists like Jablonowski, J. Visser,
Broersen & Lukács, Maurer, and others in this
show, the distinction between digital and
analogue artistic media no longer seems relevant,
and why for them there is no ideological
obligation to submit to the aesthetic limitations
of the epoch-making technologies. For an earlier
generation of artists, it was a decisive step to
'go digital', or not. Entire artistic careers
were ruined by the stigma of doing 'art with a
plug'. (Others were made by the exclusivity which
that stigma offered in certain circles.)

It has been one of the grave misconceptions of
'new media art' to assume that the new
technologies would break with the paradigms of
representation, perception and cognition to an
extent that the effects of that break could
exclusively be articulated by means of these very
technologies. However, as this misconception
withers, only the label Media Art - in the sense
of 'art based on electronic or digital media' -
will be a thing of the past; a past when it was
also aesthetically decisive when one chose for
the artistic programme determined by those
'technologies formerly known as new media'. In
the same way as contemporary artists are free to
use drawing and painting, photography and film,
video and sculpture, they are also no longer
risking their art market career if they develop
an interactive 3D-environment, a generative video
projection, or a sound installation. This will
mean, on the one hand, that part of what has been
produced as Media Art in the past, will at some
point be re-evaluated as important pre-cursors to
later contemporary art developments - or as
idiosyncratic variations of other possibilities
that were not followed up on. On the other hand,
the described liberation of the artistic media
will require a further broadening of art school
teaching and art funding, in which the
high-ceiling studios for painters and sculptors
are consistently matched by well-equipped studios
for digitally based art production in image,
sound, space, and movement. Artists must have a
choice, and they ought to be as critically aware
of the politics, the historical background, and
the aesthetic potentials and limitations of
software, as of oil and acryllic paint, HD video,
or bronze.

The overall submissions to our call, and
hopefully also the exhibition itself, are
testimony to the fact that artists in the
Netherlands are doing quite well in terms of the
liberation of artistic media. It is now time for
the museums, for public and private collectors to
acknowledge a change in the arts that has been
going on for decades and that is a challenge for
gallerists, art historians and conservation
experts, much more than for the artists
themselves. In that respect, the strategic
ambition of Deep Screen is to show how much can
be gained for the appreciation of contemporary
art from such a broadening of the horizon.

Further reading

Marie-Luise Angerer: Vom Begehren nach dem Affekt. Zürich: Diaphanes, 2007
Departement Kunst & Medien (eds.): Media Arts
Zurich. 13 Positions. Zürich: Scheidegger &
Spiess, 2008
Matthew Fuller: Media Ecologies: Materialist
Energies in Art and Technoculture. Cambridge: MIT
Press, 2005
Max Imdahl: Farbe. Kunsttheoretische Reflexionen
in Frankreich. München: Fink, 1987
Maurizio Lazzarato: Videophilosophie.
Zeitwahrnehmung im Postfordismus. Berlin:
b_books, 2002
Arjen Mulder, Maaike Post: Boek voor de
elektronische kunst. Amsterdam: De Balie / V2_:
2000
Frieder Nake: "Vilém Flusser und Max Bense, des
Pixels angesichtig werdend. Eine Überlegung am
Rande der Computergrafik." In: Gottfried Jäger
(ed.): Fotografie denken. Über Vilém Flussers
Philosophie der Medienmoderne.  Bielefeld:
Kerber 2001, p.169-182
Hans Ulrich Reck: The Myth of Media Art. The
Aesthetics of the Techno/Imaginary and an Art
Theory of Virtual Realities. Weimar: VDG, 2007
Martin Seel: Ästhetik des Erscheinens. Frankfurt/M.: Suhrkamp, 2003
Yvonne Spielmann, Gundolf Winter (eds.): Bild -
Medium - Kunst. München: Fink, 1999
Peter Weibel: Gamma und Amplitude. Medien- und
kunsttheoretische Schriften. Berlin: Philo, 2004