[spectre] Situated Technologies Pamphlets 2: Urban Versioning System 1.0

Mark Shepard markshepard at schizogeo.net
Tue Jun 24 17:01:24 CEST 2008

Situated Technologies Pamphlets 2:
Urban Versioning System 1.0
Matthew Fuller and Usman Haque
(Illustrations by David Cuesta)

Now available from Lulu.com – http://www.lulu.com/content/2734646

The second volume of the Situated Technologies Pamphlet Series asks
the question: what lessons can architecture learn from software
development, and more specifically, from the Free, Libre, and Open
Source Software (FLOSS) movement? Written in the form of a quasi-
license, Urban Versioning System 1.0 posits seven constraints that,
if followed, will contribute to an open source urbanism that
radically challenges the conventional ways in which cities are
constructed.

+++ About the Situated Technologies Pamphlet Series +++

Series Editors: Omar Khan, Trebor Scholz, Mark Shepard
Published by the Architectural League of New York

The Situated Technologies Pamphlet Series extends a discourse
initiated in the summer of 2006 by a three-month-long discussion on
the Institute for Distributed Creativity (iDC) mailing list that
culminated in the Architecture and Situated Technologies symposium at
the Urban Center and Eyebeam in New York, co-produced by the Center
for Virtual Architecture (CVA), the Architectural League of New York
and the iDC. The series explores the implications of ubiquitous
computing for architecture and urbanism: how our experience of space
and the choices we make within it are affected by a range of mobile,
pervasive, embedded or otherwise “situated” technologies. Published
three times a year over three years, the series is structured as a
succession of nine “conversations” between researchers, writers and
other practitioners from architecture, art, philosophy of technology,
comparative media studies, performance studies, and engineering.

For more information about the series, visit
www.situatedtechnologies.net

+++ About the Architectural League +++

The mission of the Architectural League is to advance the art of
architecture.

The League carries out its mission by promoting excellence and
innovation, and by fostering community and discussion in an
independent forum for creative and intellectual work in architecture,
urbanism, and related disciplines. We present the work and ideas of
the world’s most interesting and influential architects and designers
to New York, national and international audiences, through lectures,
exhibitions, publications, and the worldwide web. We identify and
encourage talented young architects, through competitions, grants,
exhibitions, and publications. And we help shape the future of our
built environment by stimulating debate and provoking design thinking
about the critical issues of our time.

The Architectural League is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization
supported by the National Endowment for the Arts; the New York State
Council on the Arts, a State Agency; and the New York City Department
of Cultural Affairs. League programs are also made possible by
contributions from foundations, corporations, and League members and
friends.

For more information about League programs, visit www.archleague.org.