[spectre] media art and dictatorial regimes

Andreas Broeckmann ab at mikro.in-berlin.de
Wed Jun 25 16:45:32 CEST 2008

hey armin,

i understand your point, and i concur with the problems you see.
(although i doubt whether there is something that you can refer to as
'the field as a whole', and i would also claim that this is nothing
special for 'media art', but concerns any artist and cultural
practicioner; or do you think that the moral responsibility of an
artist working with digital media is different from, say, a
violinist?)

while i have no connection at all to the show in china, i can only
say that the people who i have been in touch with over the last
months and who did go there, were generally very much aware of the
political context, and they made conscious decisions to go to china
in this current situation. some of them have - like others before -
come back and said that they found the situation there much more
complex than they thought. i just say this as a hint that some people
have actually chosen to show their work *because* of the political
situation in china today.

given that you also refer to political changes in other countries
(which i find it difficult to still summarise as 'western'), the
discussion comes back to the  general question about the political
and moral responsibility of artists. (is it morally more problematic
to go to china in 2008, than it would be to make an artwork for BMW,
or to work, as an artist, in one of the military research compounds
aka american universities.)

i really don't know, and i think it is important not to be too sure,
and to respect the decisions that other people take, based on their
own interpretation of the situation, and of what can be done, and of
what form resistance might take.

regards,
-a