[spectre] (fwd) Call for entries: Electrohype 2008

Andreas Broeckmann ab at mikro.in-berlin.de
Thu Mar 6 15:31:24 CET 2008

From: Anna Kindvall <info at electrohype.org>
Subject: [Electrohype Info] Call for entries: Electrohype 2008
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 15:17:01 +0100

Call for entries: Electrohype 2008
the fifth biennial for computer based and technological art
Malmö Konsthall - Nov 2008 - Jan 2009

Deadline: April 18th 2008 - material sent via
ordinary mail should be postmarked by this date.

Electrohype 2008 will be the fifth biennial for
computer-based art in Sweden. Electrohype is
pleased to announce this call for entries for the
exhibition that will be a follow up to the
previous large Electrohype exhibitions in 2000,
2002, 2004 and 2006.

The exhibition will for the second time take
place at Malmö Konsthall (also 2004). The
duration of the biennial will be from mid
November 2008 to beginning of January 2009. Malmö
Konsthall was opened in 1975 and is one Europe's
largest and most flexible exhibition halls for
contemporary art. The annual number of visitors
are approximately 200 000.

The exhibition will present works by 5 - 8
artists or artist groups. To give the exhibition
a broad perspective we are looking for Nordic as
well as international artists.

Important dates

Deadline for this call for entries April 18th 2008
Exhibition opening mid November 2008
Exhibition closing beginning of January 2009
Exact date will soon be announced.

Please feel free to re-distribute this call.

What kind of art are we looking for?

Electrohype has since the start in 1999 focused
on what we choose to call computer based art. Art
that runs of computers and utilizes the capacity
of the computer to mix various media, allow
interaction with the audience, or machines
interacting with each others etc. in other words
art that can not be transferred to "traditional"
linear media. This might seem as a narrow
approach but we have discovered that it gives us
a better focus on a genre that in no way is
narrow.

We are not looking for "straight" video art (even
if it is edited on a computer) or still images
rendered on computers and other material that
refers to more "traditional" media forms. Forms
were the traditional tools have been replaced
with computers and software.

Curators for the biennial are Anna Kindvall and Lars Gustav Midbøe.

Practical
You can submit with our online form or download
the application form as PDF-file. You have to use
one of these two forms to submit to our call.
This can be found on this address:
<http://www.electrohype.org/2006>www.electrohype.org/2008/call

NOTE: Please do NOT send documentation material
as attachments via e-mail. Put your material
online and send us the download URL or ftp
address, or send us a CD or similar in the mail.
Do NOT send 8 pages CVs and only complement with
enclosures if it is necessary.
Please read the form and follow the guidelines.
We receive a large amount of proposals and all of
them are reviewed closely. To be able to do this
we ask you to follow the structure in the
application form and the topics mentioned above.

Financial
Due to a limited budget we will encourage
everyone submitting material to look for
possibilities for local funding to help cover
costs for transport, travel and rent of technical
equipment. This is not a requirement but a
request; external funding can help us during the
financial planning. The quality of the artwork
will always be the determining element.

Electrohype covers all expenses, within
reasonable limits, and also pays an artist
honorarium to participating artists. Electrohype
does not support development and production of
unfinished artworks.

In previous exhibitions we have managed to keep a
high level both in artistic content and
exhibition design, even on a modest budget. It is
therefore very important for us to avoid
unpleasant surprises, so please keep this in mind
when filling out the various posts in the form,
especially when it comes to technical
requirements, transport weight etc.
We are looking forward to see new and interesting works of art.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any
questions or need additional information

Best regards from the Electrohype team,
Anna Kindvall and Lars Gustav Midboe

www.electrohype.org