[spectre] hybrid spaces

John Hopkins jhopkins at commspeed.net
Thu Mar 20 13:30:09 CET 2008

Spacecowboys – workhop about hybrid spaces

06 + 07 May 2008
Z33, Hasselt, Belgium
15-20 participants within a wide range of disciplines
Free, register at www.spacecowboys.be

Our feeling of space and place changes and refreshes constantly through
the interaction and communication possibilities of new media. Locations
and environments may be altered from public to a private and from concrete
to virtual through mobile technologies. These hybrid spaces create
emotional and aesthetic possibilities for artists to experiment with. How
do artists work with hybrid space and how do they make us aware of the
social and cultural implications?

This workshop will be moderated by John Hopkins. Speakers & guests: Armin
Medosh, Anne Nigten, Jeanne van Heeswijk, Eric Kluitenberg, Kurt
Vanhoutte, Peter Westenberg, Maja Kuzmanovic and Pieter van Bogaert.

During two workshop days we will think, talk and work around four thematic
issues:

LOCAL-GLOBAL
The media has brought the ‘global world’ closer to us. They focus our
attention on our local environment as it exists in a globalised world. The
concept of place can no longer be naively fenced off from homogenous
global networks. Globalisation processes have a number of negative
effects, but this is no reason to ‘suffer’ them. In that sense, artist’s
strategies to reveal the richness of diversity in a global society are
very valuable. Via their acts in spaces, they can show us that there are
still opportunities to claim our own space in a world that we do not
always seem to have a grip on.

PRIVATE-PUBLIC
Technology enables us to be constantly in contact with places from a
distance. This gives us enormous freedom. The shadow side is that the same
technology allows us to control more. Artists try to draw attention to
controlling networks that are not always visible to us, such as databases,
RFID (radiofrequency identification) of surveillance cameras. This enables
us to interact with them more consciously and maybe even break the
connection now and again.

VISIBLE-INVISIBLE
The phenomenon of ‘ubiquitous computing’ is about the fact that technology
is being integrated into our surroundings ever more ‘seamlessly’. In many
cases we no longer know where technology is concealed, let alone how to
manipulate it ourselves. Our air is full of (polluting) radiation. Artists
can reveal these invisible networks in interesting ways using maps,
visualisations or photo’s.

NARRATING-CREATING
Immersive environments, interactive story telling or mapping tell us
stories about our place in space. Artists often use low-tech technologies
in their work, as a reaction against the glorification of technological
intelligence. As a rule, these works function more transparently or are
easy to work with. They bring the possibility of shaping your own space
within reach, hereby stimulating a ‘Do-It-Yourself’ (DIY) culture.

Sharing and mapping experiences, thoughts and visions around creative
expressions of hybrid space are the central goal. Every thematic issue
will be introduced by an international speaker who explains and highlights
the issue from his or her own experience, and a national reporter who
reflects upon the situation and possibilities for Flanders (Dutch-speaking
Belgium).The exhibition Place at Space at Z33 functions as material for study
during this workshop.

In general, traditional conferences, workshops, symposia,
 tend to a bit
of a bore: keynote speakers are the central element and more often than
not little time is spent on an interesting discussion/conversation with
all participants on the topics dealt with. Most interesting talks are held
during the coffee break, the lunch or in the bar afterwards. Besides this,
these meetings are generally limited to only text and minimal forms of
visual expressions.

The Cowboy Methodology asks for an active engagement of each participant
in his/her own language/medium (text, still or moving image,
). In this
way the “group of individuals” are equally important as the keynote
speakers in front of the audience.

Keywords for this methodology are:
* openness
* the individual is empowered, but finds its value in connection to the group
* passion
* transdisciplinary approach
* ad hoc connections generate long lasting relations
* meetings in real life are as equal as meetings in the virtual
*

The Cowboy Methodology heavily relies on the Open Space Technology which
proved its value in user generated conferences as BarCamps or
Unconferences. And, of course, this methodology could not have existed
without the prototypical image of a cowboy: energetic, engaged, in
solitude, but aware & depending of the others in his community,
  Yihaa!

The findings, conclusions, new questions and other output of this workshop
will be brought together on the website www.spacecowboys.be and in a
printed publication.

www.spacecowboys.be
www.z33.be