[spectre] Sound Installation Opening South Hill Park, UK 19th September 6.30 - 8pm

Helen Sloan helen at volcanic.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 15 12:15:18 CEST 2008

Dear Colleagues and Friends

Apologies for cross posting

I would like to remind you that Patrick Courtney and Mike Lion¹s sound piece
opens as part of South Hill Park¹s Sound:Space season on Friday 19th
September 6.30 ­ 8pm (details below). It would be good if you could join us
for the opening or visit during the exhibition.

If you need any more details do get in touch.

Best wishes
Helen
Helen Sloan
Director
SCAN
Room 216, The Media School
Weymouth House, Bournemouth University
Talbot Campus, Poole
BH12 5BB UK
+44(0)1202 961451
---------------------------------------

SCAN Production at South Hill Park, Bracknell Gallery

hair+spit v1.0
Patrick Courtney and Mike Lion
Sound Installation as part of the Sound:Space Season
South Hill Park, Ringmead, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 7PA UK
20 September ­ 9 November
Opening: September 19, 6.30 - 8pm

I Only Felt Night Within Me © Courtney & Lion

The end result of complete cellular representation is cancer.
William S. Burroughs Naked Lunch 134

In a small totally blacked out space, an immersive sonic environment, I want
to put the audience somewhere in the position I was sitting with my son in a
children¹s oncology ward in the dead of night with the faint sound of the
infusion pump which had the unsettling psychological effect of slowly
increasing in volume until it was all I could hear.
Patrick Courtney, 2008

hair+spit v1.0 is a war broadcast taken from over 17 hours of actual sound
recordings of chemotherapy treatment. The sound of the drugs, blood
transfusions, hydration treatments and food supplements entering the body.
hair+spit v1.0 provides an extraordinary insight into the treatment of
cancer and its associated psychological and physiological struggles. This
piece transcends a purely autobiographical reading of the work by drawing
the audience into a universal world looking at mortality, complexity of the
body and the fine line between the toxic and healing qualities of
chemotherapy. hair+spit v1.0 examines the theatre of war on both a micro
(the body) and macro (territorial war) level using sonic arts sensitively
and with great impact.

The current v1.0 is a looped sound recording (8¹ 13²) of a Baxter Pump
injecting chemicals into the body. The sound has been post-produced in the
studio to reveal and broadcast the chemotherapy as it was administered. The
end result is a highly charged sound installation that simultaneously evokes
the struggle and conflict of the treatment of cancer along with the long
periods of waiting to find out if it is working. In order to achieve this
effect, the audience is invited to experience the sound loop in a completely
blacked out space.

Patrick Courtney and Mike Lion have collaborated on this project beginning a
partnership, which is being consolidated through a number of pieces focused
on sound

For opening times and more details please go to:
http://www.southhillpark.org.uk

Details of SCAN are available at: http://www.scansite.org