[spectre] New Media Lounge this wednesday!

dj lotu5 lotu5 at resist.ca
Mon Apr 13 21:44:58 CEST 2009

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: 	this wednesday!
Date: 	Mon, 13 Apr 2009 12:17:00 -0700
From: 	New Media Lounge <fhanna AT ucsd d()t edu>
To: 	newmedialounge-l at mailman.ucsd.edu <newmedialounge-l at mailman.ucsd.edu>

Hello all digital art junkies and what have you,

New Media Lounge is excited to bring MFA Candidate, Micha Cardenas for
an exclusive motion capture demonstration in the Performative Computing
Lab at the Center for Research in Computing and the Arts (CRCA). Micha
will be discussing her recent project /*Becoming* *Dragon*/, a 365 hour,
(2 week long) performance in Second Life. The performance is believed to
be the first of its kind in Second Life, and Micha will talk about her
experience and research, in addition to a techie demonstration of the
motion capture setup involved.

Join us on Wednesday, April 15th, at 6pm for some food, drinks, good
music, and mocap fun. The Performative Computing Space in CRCA is
located in Cal(IT)2, (Atkinson Hall) in Warren college, on the first
floor.  Make a right past the elevators, follow the hallway to the right
once again, and you can't miss it. There will be signs posted as well.

Flyer here:
http://bang.calit2.net/tts/michaNmlFlyer.png

See you then!!!
-nml

More on Becoming Dragon,
from http://www.calit2.net/newsroom/release.php?id=1431

"In an age when biotechnology has made it possible to alter the
fundamentals of our food supply, our energy sources and even our genetic
makeup, one graduate student at the University of California, San Diego,
is pushing the limits of what it means to be human by exploring the
intersections of biotechnology, art and virtual-reality in an immersive,
durational performance titled */Becoming Dragon/*."

"The project is a means of questioning the one-year requirement for
"real-life experience" that transgender people must fulfill in order to
receive gender confirmation surgery (also known as sexual reassignment
surgery)."

" 'The general theme for my project is to explore the possibilities for
transformation, to ask the question, Is change really possible, or do
you get what you're given, and that's it?' Cardenas explains. 'I'm
asking if it's possible to replace this real-life experience requirement
with Second Life experience, but I'm also asking a question that is
somewhat rhetorical or fantastical: Could you really become your
second-life avatar?' "

--

micha cárdenas
performance / social media / public culture

C(a)lit2 Researcher, http://bang.calit2.net
CRCA Researcher, http://crca.ucsd.edu
MFA Candidate, UCSD, http://visarts.ucsd.edu
MA, EGS, http://egs.edu