[spectre] Floating Points 6: Games of Culture | Art of Games

Turbulence turbulence at turbulence.org
Mon Feb 16 21:41:39 CET 2009

Floating Points 6: Games of Culture | Art of Games
http://institute.emerson.edu/floatingpoints/2009/

A Film Screening, Symposium and Workshops with Asi Burak, Anita Fontaine,
Jesper Juul, Friedrich Kirschner, Marcin Ramocki, Jason Rohrer, Adriana de
Souza Silva, Mushon Zer-Aviv

DATE: March 20-21, 2009
VENUE: Emerson College, Boston + streamed live on the web and in Second
Life.
FREE and OPEN to the public. Registration details on the website

Video games extend beyond the gaming console into nearly every aspect of
contemporary life. They are fun. They drive innovation, consumer engagement
and employee productivity. Is our culture turning everything into a game?

Video Games have had a greater impact on narrative form than any medium
since film. They are altering our experience of both virtual and physical
space. Gamespace is everywhere and nowhere (McKenzie Wark, Gamer Theory). In
Video Game Spaces: Image, Play, and Structure in 3D Worlds, Michael Nitsche
introduces five analytical layers - rule-based space, mediated space,
fictional space, play space, and social space. How do artists and game
designers use these spaces in their creative practice? How does structured
play impact our engagement with other people, both online and in urban
space? What are the political and cultural implications of gaming practices?

More information at http://institute.emerson.edu/floatingpoints/2009/

Jo-Anne Green, Co-Director
New Radio and Performing Arts, Inc.: http://new-radio.org
New York: 917.548.7780 . Boston: 617.522.3856
Turbulence: http://turbulence.org
Networked_Performance Blog: http://turbulence.org/blog
Networked_Music_Review: http://turbulence.org/networked_music_review
Upgrade! Boston: http://turbulence.org/upgrade