[spectre] exhibition: grey) (area ::: Petar Grimani: XXXXXXXX

Darko Fritz fritz.d at chello.nl
Sat Jul 11 20:56:14 CEST 2009

grey) (area - space of contemporary and media art, Korcula

Petar Grimani: XXXXXXXX

Monday 13th and Tuesday 14th  July . 21 - 23 h

free entrance

This project is dedicated to memory of victims of Srebrenica massacre
(9th - 114th  July  2005)

The exhibition is a complex art installation which consists of
drawings, paintings, video, sound, light and shadows that are
specifically made for the occasion.

The installation, that occupies five cellars within the gallery,
represented with still and moving images of bison and the
concentration camp Auschwitz, questions the achievements of
civilisation in terms of Euro/Asian space and ethnic cleansing.

‘Where is that bison?’ (20 min, 2008) is the title of introduction
video work, which follows the author’s flow of conscience in
contemplating bison.

Spatial colour shadows of bison drawings are a separate installation,
while acrylic painting of human shadows is made on carpet (3x5 meters).
The installation is spatially concluded with new video work that uses
footage of the author’s performance in Auschwitz II (Birkenau) from
2008 following the final exit to the gallery’s terrace on the
seashore.
The artist’s obsessive search for European bison, that powerful
creature almost completely extinguished in Europe and Asia, refers to
a desire for a return to traditional, basic values that include unity
of human beings and nature.

The aim of the project is to use the allegorical figure of the
European buffalo, a species almost totally extinct in this territory,
which has multiple significations, and represents natural strength and
primordial values of the ancient times, but also can be transferred to
the context of the recent war in the territory of ex-Yugoslavia and
the PTSD syndrome that continues to affect ex war veterans.

The question we can ask is: «Is our civilization utterly repressive
and violent as it continuously endangers and violates other species
and the harmony that used to exist among the different species and the
nature? »

The artist chooses non-violence by refusing to actually kill the
animal, but takes photographs instead, which symbolizes his desire to
restore this harmony that seems to be lost.

The installation xxxx is part of the project ‘where is that bison?’
started in 2008, shown on Drawing Trienal and 'T-HTnagrada at msu. hr' in
Zagreb and  'Paso Doble' and 'Dopust – days of performance' in Split.

/// from artist’s statement:

.....................“Where is it? Where is that bison? There has to
be a bison somewhere around here! Where’s the bison – I have to
find a bison!”

A multi-layered parable about the obsessive search for a European
bison, a magnificent being which is almost extinct on the vast
territory of Eurasia I have used as an allegory about searching for a
master drawer. The video work that would be projected onto a drawing
on a wall tells a story of a man who is searching for a bison where
there is none and in a way we can interpret the symptoms of PTSP in
this way, as well as a need to bring fiction back down to the matter,
which a drawing is certainly capable of. Exactly the cave motifs of a
bull can serve as a template for describing ritually magical
obsessions, as well as a mechanism of anticipation.

.....................“There was this European bison and I have to
kill it! I have to kill it because a bison is a really strong
creature. There is so much strength in it that when I kill it I will
become as strong as the bison!”

The European bison exits the area of hunt and becomes a symbol of
prehistoric Europe which is in traces preserved to this day in the
protected natural parks, but it is important to emphasize, through a
way that necessarily demanded a human intention or even a more serious
intervention. Even the mythological Europe – its name means a place
where the sun comes to the Mediterranean on the back of a giant bull.
But the arrival of civilisation has urbanized the territory of Europe
and coexistence with nature swiftly changes - the more westward we go,
the more settled and populated and concrete-covered it gets. Today’s
European centre of government is right in the centre of the radius of
some three hundred kilometres in the heart of the most urbanized and
most densely populated area on planet Earth, which is obvious if we
look at the night photographs taken from satellites orbiting the planet.

.....................“Oh, my – when I see it, great as it is,
standing somewhere on a hill, and then… BOOM! When I hit it on the
head and it falls down to the ground and I come and put my hand on it
when it is still warm, oh dear, what a feeling will that be. I have to
find that bison and strike it in the head and run while it is still
breathing… And lean my head on it, put my arms around and let all
this strength coming from the soil and the hills enter into me. And
let the last bison die.”

Drawing is obvious in its intentions and precise as a discipline which
can be explained or interpreted as leaving a trace or as an extension
of a mental projection which is materialized in the controlling trace
of the line. When a hunter shoots an arrow, throws a spear or releases
a trigger, we assume that the fired projectile flies in a straight line.

.....................“…because then I have to hit it directly in
its head, and I have to be very, very, very careful when I aim,
because if it attacks me, I’m history.”

Is there a purpose or a function in a drawing? Of course there is,
even though it seems neglected and unimportant when compared to the
technological development and the possibilities it offers (especially
digital image editing). There is no medium which can better or more
precise intensify and train our senses and combine the experience of
watching and the creative articulation. Just like when we tune a
guitar we train our hearing receptors by listening to the tone and
colour of the sound, in the same manner the process of drawing
synchronises us with what we are watching and develops sensitivity in
relation to the line, composition, weight, lightness and intensity of
light.

.....................“…we will become one. And in one moment I will
think about killing myself, too, and then your spirit will say –
Don’t! And all those Indians and indigenous original inhabitants of
old Europe will be with me and we’ll thank you for letting us kill
you.”

Personally, I am convinced that it is not possible to be a good visual
artist, even in contemporary art, if one does not master the art of
drawing

contact: Darko Fritz darko at darkofritz.net / tel + 385 [0] 91.5800193

grey) (area program 2009: Lemeh 42 (Italy) . Petar Grimani
(Croatia) .  Ivan Marusic Klif  (Croatia) . Toni Mestrović
(Croatia) . Samuel Cepeda (Mexico) .  Nina Czegledy (Canada) and
Marcus Neustetter (South Africa)

participants in gray) (area program: Veaceslav Ahunov, (Uzbekistan),
Abilsait Atabekov (Kazahstan), Dunja Blažević, Boris Cvjetanovic
(Zagreb), Gem Sqash (Adam Hyde and Ntsikelelo Ntshingila), Ulan
Djaparov (Kazahstan), Ivan Faktor (Osijek), Kontejner (Zagreb), Lemeh
42 (Italy), Faruk Loncarevic (Bosnia and Hercegovina), Alban Muja
(Kosova), Edita Pecotić (Korcula / London), Ana Peraica (Split),
PRO.BA (Bosnia and Hercegovina), Radioqalia (Adam Hyde and Honnor
Hager, New Zealand), Lala Raščić (Sarajevo – Zagreb), Stefan Rusu
(Moldavia / Romania), Tomo Savić-Gecan (Zagreb - Amsterdam), Slaven
Tolj (Dubrovnik), Transfer (Zagreb), Goran Trbuljak (Zagreb), Alexandr
Ugay (Kazahstan), Dražen Vitolović (Sovinjak / Rijeka) i Enes Zlatar
(Bosnia and Hercegovina).