[spectre] (fwd) Counterculture in the US West - Call for Papers

Andreas Broeckmann ab at mikro.in-berlin.de
Wed Mar 4 09:49:44 CET 2009

Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 10:13:22 -0800 (PST)
From: Robin Oppenheimer <robino at sfu.ca>
Subject: Counterculture Call for Papers

I just returned from the College Art Association
conference in LA, where I was on a panel about
the aesthetics of the US West Coast
counterculture (I presented my research about
light shows). The two conveners from Denver are
now putting out a call for papers for an art
exhibition and book on the same theme that I've
attached. Thanks!

Call For Papers

The Countercultural Object: Consciousness and
Encounters at the Edge of Art, 1965-1975
Eds. Elissa Auther and Adam Lerner

The Countercultural Object: Consciousness and Encounters at the Edge of Art,
1965-1975 is an edited collection of scholarly
essays that will consider the unique visual
expressions of countercultural artists working on
the West coast, the Rocky Mountain West, and the
Southwest in the post-war period. The editors
welcome proposals for essays focusing on the
artistic practices of the American counterculture
of the 1960s and 1970s that were aimed at
transforming social norms and generating new life
patterns. Examples of such practices might
include, among others, the hand-built
architecture of the communities Drop City and
Libre in Colorado, the multi-sensory movement
workshops of Anna Halprin in the San Francisco
Bay area, the creation of immersive light shows
in Los Angeles and San Francisco, and the revival
of craft throughout centers of the counterculture
in the American West. In this study, art works
and practices like those listed above will be
organized around five themes emblematic of the
counterculture of the 1960s and 1970s: altering
consciousness, communal encounters, alternative
settlements, °ƒhow to°± publications, and the
handmade.

Essays will be selected with a view toward a
cohesive book that highlights how artists
associated with the counterculture contributed to
a conception of art as a tool for personal and
social transformation, immediate and direct
experience, and cultural and political activism.

Interested individuals should submit an abstract
of no more than 500 words, a 100-word author's
biography, and a 2-3 page CV. Proposals must be
received by May 31st, 2009.

Proposals may be sent as email attachments to
counterculturebook at gmail.com

or to Drs. Elissa Auther and Adam Lerner, 3433
Pecos St. Denver, CO, 80211. Questions concerning
the project may be sent to Elissa Auther and Adam
Lerner at

counterculturebook at gmail.com.