[spectre] Prague Biennale - Hyperlucid

Domenico Quaranta qrndnc at yahoo.it
Sat May 9 12:00:33 CEST 2009

HYPERLUCID
Training to live in a new reality

Curated by: Domenico Quaranta

For: Prague Biennale 4
Karlin Hall, Thamova 8 - Praga 8
May 14 - July 26, 2009
Directors and General Curators: Helena Kontova and Giancarlo Politi
General Editor / Curatorial Advisor: Nicola Trezzi
Official website: http://www.praguebiennale.org/

ARTISTS: Alterazioni Video; Gazira Babeli; Shane Hope; Miltos Manetas;
Gerhard Mantz; Eva and Franco Mattes; UBERMORGEN.COM; Damon Zucconi.

Reality is not the one we were used to anymore. Media infiltrate it
more and more, and fill up our dreams, which usually come when our
eyes are open. Wide open. In the frame of ÒExpanded PaintingÓ, H Y P E
R L U C I D is an exhibition collecting works born on the invisible
edge between two different levels of reality (apparent reality and
media reality), and documenting the continuous trespassing from one
level to the other. The walls in between are more and more porous, and
sometimes even the more lucid gaze can't help but wonder which level
of reality it is looking at in a particular moment. All of us had this
feeling, in front of 9/11 pictures. Media don't produce simulacra
anymore: they produce events, history, life. They overwhelm us with
icons, brands, pixellated images of tortures, wars, outrages. The
hardest fight happens there. They help us to construct new levels of
reality, both abstract and hyperreal, and to get used to them.
Finally, videogames are the places of our training: there, through
more and more complex social and narrative dynamics, and through a
photorealism which even overcomes our playing needs, we forget how to
recognize simulation, and we exercise our brain for the next step: the
one in which, between tangible reality, simulated reality and media
reality there are no barriers anymore, but only the sheets,
translucent and easy to pass through, of a chinese shadows theater. We
took the last train to the world of Perky Pat, and there is no way to
come back. H Y P E R L U C I D doesn't collects paintings. Here,
painting is not a medium, but a cultural frame, a context of reference
for the new generation of the image makers. Alterazioni Video, Gazira
Babeli, Shane Hope, Miltos Manetas, Gerhard Mantz, Eva and Franco
Mattes, UBERMORGEN.COM and Damon Zucconi, no longer paint: they shoot,
they manipulate, they code, they make scripts, sometimes they fight
with other virtual characters. Yet, in the end, they produce images.

MORE INFOS & DOWNLOADABLE IMAGES:  http://www.domenicoquaranta.net/hyperlucid.html

CATALOGUE TEXT: http://www.domenicoquaranta.net/hyperlucid/HYPERLUCID_catalogue_text.pdf

---

Domenico Quaranta

mob. +39 340 2392478
email. qrndnc at yahoo.it
home. vicolo San Giorgio 18 - 25122 brescia (BS)
web. http://www.domenicoquaranta.net/

"Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid. Human beings are
incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant. Together they are powerful
beyond imagination." Albert Einstein