[spectre] Upgrade! Boston: May 19, 2009

Turbulence turbulence at turbulence.org
Fri May 15 18:01:46 CEST 2009

Upgrade! Boston
http://turbulence.org/upgrade_boston

:: Lily & Honglei ::
::: Free Books :::
:::: Up Next ::::
::::: About :::::

:: Lily & Honglei ::

DATE: May 19, 2009
TIME: 7:00 - 9:00 pm
VENUE: Center for Advanced Visual Studies
Massachusetts Institute for Technology N51-390
265 Massachusetts Avenue, 3rd Floor, Cambridge
(Entrance to the right of the MIT Museum)

Thanks to Michael Mittelman (Associate Director, CAVS) for hosting this
event.

Lily & Honglei, an artist team from Beijing, recently initiated the Cyber
Museum of Contemporary Art in Second Life. Built with virtual traditional
Chinese architecture, Cyber MoCA houses a series of virtual installations,
multimedia presentations and online performances accomplished through
cross-continental artist collaborations. Lily & Honglei's digital art
reflects on folklore traditions, history, current society and the Chinese
diaspora. It examines the current economic development of China within the
context of globalization, while simultaneously exploring the meaning of
virtual online communities in terms of global dialogues as they relate to
cultural roots and the “fantasy” of China.

Lily & Honglei have been collaborating since 2005. Lily Yang is a lecturer
in the Visual & Media Arts Department at Emerson College. Honglei Li teaches
at the Massachusetts Cultural Council Art Program. More:
http://tinyurl.com/ou4zgk

::: Free Books :::

As many of you know, I recently attended the Institute for Network Cultures
Winter Camp. They sent me 4/5 copies of each of the following books —
"C’Lick Me: A Netporn Studies Reader", "MyCreativity Reader", and "Video
Vortex Reader". I will be giving them away on the 19th. Details here:
http://tinyurl.com/qhusnk

:::: Up Next ::::

We'll be taking a break for the summer. Coming up:

September 22: China Blue + Butch Rovan
October 13: Nicholas Knouf
November 17: Susan Kozel

The next Upgrade! International gathering will take place in São Paulo,
Brazil; September 2010.

::::: About Upgrade! Boston :::::

Upgrade! Boston is curated by Jo-Anne Green for Turbulence.org in
partnership with the Studio for Interrelated Media at Massachusetts College
of Art and Design. It is one of 30 nodes currently active in Upgrade!
International, an emerging network of autonomous nodes united by art,
technology, and a commitment to bridging cultural divides. If you would like
to present your work or get involved, please email jo at turbulence dot org.
Join us on Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/ob7dts

Jo-Anne Green, Co-Director
New Radio and Performing Arts, Inc.: http://new-radio.org
New York: 917.548.7780 • Boston: 617.522.3856
Turbulence: http://turbulence.org
Networked_Performance Blog: http://turbulence.org/blog
Networked_Music_Review: http://turbulence.org/networked_music_review
Upgrade! Boston: http://turbulence.org/upgrade_boston