[spectre] Do It With Others (DIWO) at the Dark Mountain - Exhibition Opening

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Mon Nov 30 18:42:46 CET 2009

Do It With Others (DIWO) at the Dark Mountain - Exhibition Opening

Press Release: December 2009

Do It With Others (DIWO)
at the Dark Mountain:
The Exhibition
http://http.uk.net

An exhibition resulting from a Mail-Art project across physical and
digital networks, responding to the Dark Mountain Manifesto.

Private View: 7-9pm Full Moon, Wednesday 2nd December '09
Live performance at 8pm representing a central controversy
arising during the project

Gallery Open: 12-5pm, Friday-Sunday, 4th-12th December '09, 8th-30th
January '10

We live in a time of social, economic and ecological unravelling. All
around us are signs that our whole way of living is already passing into
history. – Uncivilisation, The Dark Mountain Manifesto.

The Dark Mountain Project is ‘a new cultural movement for an age of
global disruption.’ It aims to ‘question the stories that underpin our
failing civilisation, to craft new ones for the age ahead and to write
clearly and honestly about our true place in the world.’ Do It With
Others (DIWO) at the Dark Mountain, a mail-art project at HTTP Gallery,
is a cultural collaboration for this age. “Uncivilisation,” the Dark
Mountain Manifesto, calls for a cultural response to our current
predicament. Its challenge was offered to network-minded artists,
technologists, writers and activists as a provocation – to work together
to re-envision the narratives and infrastructures that govern our
relationships with the natural world, and how they might be unravelled
and rewoven to reconfigure our place in it. As “Uncivilisation”
concludes, ‘the end of the world as we know it is not the end of the
world full stop.’

Artists, technologists, writers, activists and all other living beings
were invited to correspond with each other across physical and digital
mail networks, and the exhibition at HTTP present the results of this
process. These have been gathered and the presentation devised during an
Open Curation event, involving collaborators in real and virtual space.
Transmissions to be shown in the exhibition include collaborative
image-threads, net artworks, digital videos, drawings, paintings on wall
and paper, sound works, and the full text of the discussion generated on
the NetBehaviour list presented in numerous forms. The opening will also
feature a performance representing a central controversy arising during
the project. The exhibition offers new myths and maps for future
uncivilisation at HTTP Gallery.

This is the second Do It With Others (DIWO) E-Mail-Art project initiated
by Furtherfield.org. The first DIWO experiment in 2007 extended the
Do-It-Yourself ethos of early net art, characterised by curiosity,
activism and precision, towards a more collaborative approach, using the
Internet as an experimental artistic medium and distribution system to
foment grass-roots creativity.

Do It With Others at the Dark Mountain is a collaborative project by
Furtherfield.org and The Dark Mountain Project.

More about The Dark Mountain Project and Furtherfield.org

The Dark Mountain Project is curated by Paul Kingsnorth and Dougald
Hine. http://www.dark-mountain.net

Paul is the author of One No, Many Yeses and Real England. He was deputy
editor of The Ecologist between 1999 and 2001. His first poetry
collection, Kidland, is forthcoming from Salmon Poetry.
http://www.paulkingsnorth.net

Dougald writes the blog “Changing the World (and other excuses for not
getting a proper job).” He is a former BBC journalist and co-founder of
the School of Everything, and has written for and edited various online
and offline magazines. http://www.dougald.co.uk

This project is part of Furtherfield.org's three-year Media Art
Ecologies programme, which aims to provide opportunities for critical
debate, exchange and participation in emerging ecological media art
practices, and the theoretical, political and social contexts they
engage. HTTP Gallery is Furtherfield.org’s dedicated space for media
art. Furtherfield.org provides platforms for creating, viewing,
discussing and learning about experimental practices in art and
technology. Furtherfield.org and HTTP Gallery are supported by Arts
Council England, London.

For details about the project, visit:
http://http.uk.net/diwodarkmountain

For more information contact: