[spectre] RSA Arts and Ecology Centre: Ecological Innovation.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Wed Sep 9 14:22:40 CEST 2009

Sorry for any cross posting...

RSA Arts and Ecology Centre: Ecological Innovation.

Can the cultural sector step up to show it has something uniquely
powerful to offer an ecological age? An examination of practice,
partnership and policy

The need for more sustainable practice is accepted within business; in
the arts, the transfer of models from other industries is underway. An
increasing number of individuals and organisations are decreasing energy
consumption through measurement, standards, targets and disclosure. But
is this enough? Does the cultural sector have more to offer in times of
wholesale change?

As part of Culture|Futures – a series of events that spans discussions
at COP 15 – RSA Arts and Ecology is inviting international partners from
the arts and beyond to describe a ‘cultural offer for an ecological
age’. To inform that enquiry, we will discuss case studies that offer
cultural value within a wider sustainability agenda, and seek to
identify key policy areas and lines of collaboration.

The outputs from this day will be organisational comparison across
policy, identification of case studies and input to a peer-reviewed
paper, together with identifying key messages from the cultural sector
to policy makers attending COP 15.

Chair: Sally Taylor, Director LCACE

With participation from: Arup, MLA, CABE, Art s Council England,
University of the Art s, UK Film Council, Tate, RSA, Danish Cultural
Institute

PROGRAMME:
Thursday 24 September, 9.30-4.00pm

Front Gallery, Central St Martins College of Art & Design, University of
Arts London, Southampton Row, London WC1B 4AP

09:30 Arrival and coffee

10:00   Chair’s welcome

10:15 Context: The Engineer’s Role in the Ecological Age - Peter Head, Arup

11:15   Art s Examples with questions

- Cultural organisations as infrastructure catalysts - Alan Boldon,
Arnolfini

- Cultural participation and ecological citizenship – DOTT Cornwall

- Ecological technology, are we there yet? – Ruth Catlow and Marc
Garrett , Furtherfield

13:15 Lunch

14:00   Policy Implications

- European comparison – Olaf Gerlach-Hansen, Danish Cultural Institute

- Shared action

- A sector perspective?

15:00   Discussion/Plenary

16:00   Ends

The RSA combines thought leadership with social innovation to further
human progress. Building on our 250 year history as a beacon for
enlightenment values, we undertake influential and varied research
projects and host the UK’s most ambitious free lecture series. Our work
is supported by 27,000 Fellows, an international network of influencers
and innovators from every field and background.

To find out more visit our website here - http://www.theRSA.org

Registered as a charity in England and Wales no. 212424 and in Scotland
no. SC037784

To see our standard legal disclaimer click here -
http://www.thersa.org/email-disclaimer