[spectre] News from the Daniel Langlois Foundation

Fondation Daniel Langlois info at fondation-langlois.org
Fri Aug 6 16:03:14 CEST 2010

David Rokeby, Very Nervous System (1983-)

A new documentary collection has been added to our Web site. This new publication is about Very Nervous System by David Rokeby. It is a particularly interesting case study for two reasons. Firstly, it offers an unmatched demonstration of the importance of experience in media art. Very Nervous System is essentially an empty room until someone walks in and activates it. It is a work that is brought into being very literally through experience.

Secondly, it is a seminal work in the history of media art, with a lifespan of more than 28 years. Its celebrity and longevity pose some particularly interesting questions about documentation and contextualisation of media artworks over time and through change.

This documentary collection was compiled by Caitlin Jones and Lizzie Muller while the piece was being shown at Ars Electronica 2009 in Linz (Austria):
http://www.fondation-langlois.org/html/e/page.php?NumPage=2186

Audience Experience in Media Art Research @ ISEA

The importance of the audience as part of the media art event is widely acknowledged, but although interaction and embodiment are well theorised, we are yet to achieve a well-grounded understanding of audience experience. This panel asks: How can we study, document and understand the audience experience and how it responds to concepts of creativity and of innovation in media art?

An ISEA2010 RUHR Conference with Lizzie Muller, Katja Kwastek, Peter Ride, Nathaniel Stern, and Christopher Salter, on August 26, 2010 in Dortmund (Germany):
http://www.isea2010ruhr.org/conference/thursday-26-august-2010-dortmund/p31-a-to-x-audience-experience-in-media-art-research