[spectre] We Feel Fine: An Almanac of Human Emotion.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Mon Jan 4 14:32:46 CET 2010

Sorry for any cross posting...

Review by Rob Myers.

We Feel Fine: An Almanac of Human Emotion
Jonathan Harris and Sep Kamvar
Scribner Book Company, December 2009
ISBN 1439116830

"We Feel Fine - An Almanac Of Human Emotion" is a hardback book that in
just under 300 pages of well designed montages, data visualisations,
diagrams, illustrations and text presents and analyses the data gathered
by the We Feel Fine project. Started in 2005 and launched in early 2006
by Jonathan Harris and Sep Kamvar, We Feel Fine is based around a
database assembled using a webcrawler that searches the blogosphere for
statements of the form "I feel" or "I feel like". Any matches are stored
along with as much contextual data as the webcrawler can find (a
photograph nearby in the blog post, the poster's age, gender, and
location, local weather). The database contained twelve million such
entries by the time the book was published.

Harris and Kamvar are admirably candid in laying out the history,
methodology, technology and in the case of the book's production even
the finances of their project. The code listings included in the book
are tantalising glimpses into how the We Feel Fine server works,
allowing a rare chance for students and artists to study such a system,
and are licenced under the GPLv3. The book is under the obscure but
principled Creative Commons "Founders Copyright" licence which will
automatically expire the copyright on the book in twenty years time.
This is all invaluable for critique and study of the project by artists,
academics and anyone with an interest in art and technology, and more
artists should do it.

http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?review_id=371

------------->

Other Info:

A living, breathing, thriving networked neighbourhood...

We are on Twitter
http://twitter.com/furtherfield

Other reviews/articles/interviews
http://www.furtherfield.org/reviews.php

Furtherfield - online media arts community, platforms for creating,
viewing, discussing and learning about experimental practices at the
intersections of art, technology and social change.
http://www.furtherfield.org

HTTP Gallery - physical media arts Gallery (London).
http://www.http.uk.net

Netbehaviour - an open email list community engaged in the process of
sharing and actively evolving critical approaches, methods and ideas
focused around contemporary networked media arts practice.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

Furtherfield Blog - shared space for personal reflections on media art
practice.
http://blog.furtherfield.org

VisitorsStudio - real-time, multi-user, online arena for creative 'many
to many' dialogue, networked performance and collaborative polemic.
http://www.visitorsstudio.org/x.html

Furthernoise -  an online platform for the creation, promotion,
criticism and archiving of innovative cross genre music and sound art
for the information & interaction of the public and artists alike.
http://www.furthernoise.org