[spectre] At HTTP Gallery, If not you not me - Annie Abrahams.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Fri Jan 29 17:50:17 CET 2010

Sorry for any cross posting...

If not you not me
Annie Abrahams

HTTP Gallery, London
12 February – 20 March 2010
Open Thursday - Saturday, 12-5pm

Private view and performances: Friday, 12 February 2010, 6:30-9pm
Free admission to exhibition and events.
http://www.http.uk.net/exhibitions/ifnotyounotme/index.shtml

Annie Abrahams (b. NL 1954 , lives and works FR) is an internationally
regarded pioneer of networked performance art. 'If not you not me' at
HTTP Gallery in London is the first exhibition of her work in the UK.
Where social networking sites make us think of communication as clean
and transparent, Annie Abrahams creates an Internet of feeling – of
agitation, collusion, ardour and apprehension. Working with simple
interfaces, carefully crafted instructions and disruptions in data-flow,
Abrahams sensitises participants and audiences to glitches in
communication and invites them to experience and reflect on different
ways of being together in a machine-mediated world. The exhibition asks
how we deal with the tensions of collaboration and physical separation
as we negotiate relationships through video imagery, computer software
and digital networks.

Abrahams has created three new works for 'If not you not me' at HTTP
Gallery, inviting collaboration from visitors to the gallery and others
around the world. Shared Still Life / Nature Morte Partagée, a telematic
still life for mixed media and LED message board, asks visitors to HTTP
Gallery and Kawenga - territoires numériques in Montpellier, France to
communicate with one another by arranging objects in the still life and
sending messages to one another, with the results visible in a
projection in both galleries.

The exhibition's private view also includes two new collaborative
performances to be documented and shown in the exhibition. On
Collaboration Graffiti Wall, a collective text and speech performance,
draws on reflections around the nature and problems of online
collaboration collected via a website.
Huis Clos / No Exit - Jam involves four women artists sitting before
webcams in different locations around the world. They will try to
organise a unified sound performance, working with and around the
inevitable delays that result from the international live feed. In
addition to the new works, the exhibition presents documentation of
recent networked performances created and curated by Abrahams.

If not you not me is co-produced by Furtherfield.org and HTTP Gallery,
London, and bram.org and Kawenga - territoires numériques, Montpellier,
France. Furtherfield.org supports experimental practices at the
intersections of art, technology and social change. This exhibition was
conceived in connection with Furtherfield.org's Rich Networking project
interrogating the transparency of communication, artistic collaboration
and sociability through digital networks. This is the fourth event in
Furtherfield.org's three-year Media Art Ecologies programme which
foregrounds practices sharing an ecological approach - an interest in
the interrelation of technological and natural processes: beings and
things, individuals and multitudes, matter and patterns.

Events
======

Private view and performances: Friday, 12 February 2010, 6:30-9pm, HTTP
Gallery

7pm: On Collaboration Graffiti Wall - Collective text and speech
performance at gallery.
To contribute or view texts to be used during the performance visit
http://bram.org/collaboration/index.php.

8pm: Shared Still Life / Nature Morte Partagée goes live - telematic
still Life installation at HTTP Gallery and Kawenga - territoires
numériques, Montpellier, France.

8:30pm: Huis Clos / No Exit - Jam - Telematic performance projected at
HTTP Gallery, featuring Anteye Greie (Hailuoto, FI), Pascale Gustin
(Paris, FR), Helen Varley Jamieson (Wellington, NZ), and Maja Kalogera
(Madrid, ES).

More Information

Annie Abrahams - http://aabrahams.wordpress.com
Bram.org - http://bram.org
Kawenga - territoires numériques - http://www.kawenga.org
Furtherfield.org's Media Art Ecologies programme -
http://www.furtherfield.org/mediaartecologies.php

HTTP Gallery
Unit A2, Arena Design Centre,
71 Ashfield Rd, London N4 1NY.